Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Easis drive clonning  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Easis drive clonning
« on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:45 AM »
Link: http://www.easis.com/easis-drive-cloning.html

Hey Justin:

Since you've tried this software I've been looking at something to replace Macrium Reflect because sometimes I don't want to create an image and want a clone.  Does this software include a bootable CD or USB Flash drive iso?  So in case of a drive not being able to boot I can boot to CD and clone the drive before doing anything to the original drive.

I saw the free version doesn't have it but I have no way of knowing if the paid version does.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Easis drive clonning
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
I've only used it the one time when my hard drive was giving access errors and clicking loudly... I quickly google'd and found that program and successfully was able to get my system copied over (it's my main development laptop, would have been screwed bigtime!).

After that I haven't used it, so I don't really remember how exactly I did it. It was the middle of the night, and I woke up to a blue screen and clicking noises, so I did this all half asleep :) By the time I got up in the morning, I crossed my fingers, swapped the drive, and still had to use the Windows 7 DVD to "recover startup options" or something like that, but after that, it has worked every since.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Easis drive clonning
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:54:40 AM »
Yeah, I wanted to purchase the full version but I wasn't sure since they don't mention if they had a bootable CD iso to handle a system that's not bootable and the hard disk is failing.  I didn't want to spend 4 hours creating an image and then another 4 hours restoring it for a large hard disk (500 GB).  I figured a cloning would be better specially if I could do it bit by bit instead of file by file.  I actually ended up using something that's surprisingly named very close to it called Easeus (www.easeus.com) and their free version did have a bootable CD option.  I do tech support on the side for a small company with 4 computers (I actually have two of these companies).  One is a water labeling company (they do custom water labels for companies for special events and also for individuals for weddings and such.  The other is a lawyers office.  Anyway, of their computers hard disk went bad...luckily it was still up enough that they could boot into windows but be able to do anything as explorer.exe would crash...so no start button, no nothing, all they could do is stare at their wall paper.  This computer contained the Quickbooks and shared it with the other computers, so at least when it was on, they could still access their Quickbooks company files...Anyway, this software did really well because it was a bit by bit copy I didn't have to use CD to recover startup options like you did...so I'd highly recommend it. But as it turns out Macrium Reflection now does cloning as well...they use Win PE on a CD to boot.  I may go back to using it as well...as they have the ability to clone just the used portion of the hard disc. for example in this case they had a 500 GB disc but they were only using about 250 GB...with regular bit by bit cloning you still have to copy all of the 500 GB, but with this type, you only have to copy half of it cutting down on the time it takes to copy.  Except since it's not true cloning it may not work as well.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke