Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: How does re-indexing affect the singers list?  (Read 31767 times)

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
How does re-indexing affect the singers list?
« on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:53 AM »
After the indexing issues we've had with the external drive, I'm going to re-index my dad's songs after I move them to his internal hard drive, and see if that solves the problem. Will this cause any issues with the existing singers list? Such as the location of the songs being in a different location? Or, will VDJ automatically update those locations in the .dat file?

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How does re-indexing affect the singers list?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:51 AM »
If you move the location of the dat file it won't automatically find it, but the dat file is usually in the vdj folder unless you saved additional lists else where. You can always open those from the new location. They're not lost. For example I always save a copy of mine in my dropbox folder just to have a backup. This allows me to open it from my backup laptop.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
Yeah, I found that out. It wasn't a big deal to remove and re-add the singers' songs.

Another problem I'm having is the music database seems to "lose" songs. Yesterday, I mentioned to Justin that some of the songs didn't get indexed, and he thought it might be a problem with intermittent connectivity to the external drive. So, to test that theory, I loaded all of dad's 13k + karaoke songs onto his laptop, and did a full-index. After doing that, it seemed like we were out of the woods until dad calls me and says that he had searched for Adele, and added a song to a singer's list, but then when he went back later, the search was unable to find ANY Adele songs. That's one problem.

Another problem is I showed him how to click on "Add" in the Queue and search for a song if it's not coming up in the Music Database, and while I was showing him how to do that, the process made the song that was playing stop for a split second, then continue playing. Then, once we found the song, VDJ hung for a split second before the song appeared in the queue.

Got any ideas? Dad is now nervous, and is saying he doesn't think VDJ is stable enough to risk using it for a show tomorrow night.

I am a code slinger myself. I know how hard it is to reproduce an obscure problem a user might be having. So, I'm doing my best to explain to dad that Justin will figure this out, and fix it.

I suggested to him if he's worried, then just use WinAmp tomorrow night like he's done for the past 3 years, and we'll get these little things resolved. Having him NOT use it until we can resolve these issues will keep him from getting so frustrated with VDJ that he won't consider using it again.

And, frankly, because I am a painfully honest person, I'm hoping it's not his low-end laptop that's causing these issues. I don't have another one he can borrow to see if it does better. It's not my intent to blame VDJ without considering his computer may be the issue. However, low-end laptop or not, I honestly don't think that would cause the database to lose or miss songs.

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
I want to add that dad has been "unzipping" his songs all these years because WinAmp can't play zips. That said, in his collection, there are zipped files (because he never deleted them) and unzipped files.

Just providing as much info as I can so we can figure out what's going on.

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
I'm really struggling to understand what is going on here, as I have *never* had VDJ "lose" songs from the internal database. As for it glitching occasionally, I still think you need to look at what else might be running on that laptop in the background. Is the CPU usage high? Is the cooling fan kicking on frequently (or always running)?

I also do wonder if there is a hard disk issue. If you're losing songs that came up before and don't come up upon repeating the search, VDJ may have detected that the disk was disconnected as it automatically eliminates results that aren't currently available (this is an option you can disable).

As I had mentioned before, try to make sure your external HDD is connected to a USB 2.0 port, not through a hub. And if it is one of those that is powered by the USB port (eg, no external power supply), unfortunately those aren't as reliable in my experience. Driving the disc motor from a 1-amp 5-volt USB plug is just not that reliable...

Those are the only things I can think of. I haven't had any other support requests about this issue, so I have to think it's related to your dad's laptop - whether it's a hardware problem or some rogue software running behind the scenes...

One last question - is he running an Anti-Virus? Sadly, many AV products do nothing more than interfere with what you're trying to do, and they get in the way of file access, Internet access, etc. And sometimes they really suck up the CPU resources. Without naming any names, the two most popular are particularly bad, in my opinion...

I don't even run AV software, but I'm very careful. But if I were to recommend a product, I'd go with AVG. A google search will lead you to the (sometimes hard to find) link for the 100% free version... just a suggestion. You would first want to uninstall any preinstalled AV software that might have come with the computer, or provided by your ISP, etc...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
I want to add that dad has been "unzipping" his songs all these years because WinAmp can't play zips.

I haven't used WinAmp personally since 1998, when I decided to write my own program :)  But I had no idea it couldn't handle ZIP files... the format is pretty open, patents have expired decades ago, and the code to implement ZIP support is really simple. Not to try and drive anybody away from VDJ, but I'm sure you could find a "plugin" for WinAmp to handle ZIP files natively... but I'd rather we figure out what's going wrong, and your dad just use Virtual DJ Studio instead...

I also forgot to mention, as for the singer's list (or saved singers and their songs), if the file path changes - even just the drive letter - then those pointers will no longer point to the correct location of the file. I have an article I wrote specifically to address this issue with external disk drives: http://www.vdj.net/support/external-hard-disk-letter.php
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
I expected changing the paths to do that. So, there was no surprises there. I took care of it, and dad was none the wiser. I was just asking if VDJ updated the paths if the path was changed and re-indexed. No big deal if it doesn't.

I REALLY want dad to use VDJ. And, when I eventually start doign this my self, I will be using VDJ, because even with a glitch here and there, I don't get worked up like he does. I just fix it. He just stands there and freaks out if something unexpected happens. I wonder sometimes how we can be cut from the same cloth, because I'm way calmer than he is.

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 03:51:34 PM »
It "lost" the Adele songs after I moved everything to the internal hard drive. So, at this point the external drive doesn't factor in to this.

Full disclosure: I did not witness this myself. All I saw after he called me over (he moved next door from Illinois a few months ago) was an Adele song in a singers list, with the internal drive path, and the search would not pull up any Adele songs. So, he clearly added that song somehow. And, frankly, he's not sharp enough to have been able to figure out how to add the song manually. He said the Adele songs came up in the search, then later wouldn't.

I'm just wondering if there's some way to delete a song from the database with a keystroke, or something. Dad is not exactly a spring chicken, so his fine motor skills can be erratic at times. There's no telling what he might have clicked, or did, to make these things happen.

I have the software on my desktop computer now, as well as his song database, so I can try to reproduce the problems he's had. My computer is pretty high-end, so if it's a performance issue, I'll know real soon.

My system specs:

AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10GHz
8 GB RAM
1 TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 w/ 2 GB RAM
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Dad's laptop specs:

HP (Compaq) Presario CQ56 Notebook PC
AMD V140 Processor 2.30GHz
8 GB RAM
250 GB HDD
Windows Home Premium 64-bit (Service Pack 1)

--------

I generally install Microsoft Security Essentials on all systems I deal with directly. It's been the least intrusive of all of them I've tried in the 20+ plus years I've been building and maintaining computers for a living.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure about the indexing.  I have not seen that...I do know the search feature is very specific so if you somehow type an extra comma, dash or even a space where it doesn't belong it will not display the correct result.

As far as the pauses, I know personally I had that happened to me last Saturday when I was using a backup laptop with a backup sound card.  It turned out the USB sound card though similar and made by sound blaster is not 100% compatible with the installed driver.  They were both Sound Blaster XFI, but one of them has THX and the other one doesn't...other than that they physically resemble each other.  This caused the pauses you mentioned.  When I went back to the originally installed device, everything worked correctly  I used it at the same location last night and everything worked flawlessly. 

Believe me VDJ is even more stable now than it's ever been.  I've been using it for years now and before certain songs would crash it.  I kept send Justin the song that were crashing it and figure out the problem with his CDG decoder and fixed it.  Since then I haven't had a crash.  It is very stable...the issues you're having now could be caused by driver issues and yes depending how low end the laptop is...by the way I have a Quad Core i7 Asus with windows 8 (64bit) with 8 GB memory and 750GB drive and it runs perfectly...The backup laptop I was having issues was a dual core Acer (Amd 2.2Ghz) with Windows 7 (64bit) with 4 GB memory  -I don't understand why it says only 3.74 useable, but it work well...by the way this a laptop I originally bough for my wife at Walmart for about $250 and she never used it...well, she turned it on twice since Xmas.  I did replace the DVD drive with a secondary hard disk, but other than that it works...as it turns out I like it more now because it's got larger screen and it's good for my eyes!

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
If anyone is interested I use VIPRE for antivirus and it works pretty well without issues.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:17:09 PM »
Oh, I wanted to mention dad's (and mine) Windows Experience Index scores.

Dad's: 4.1
Mine: 5.9

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
I don't have my i7 laptop but my low end laptop's Windows Experience Index score is just like your dad's 4.1 and works well as I mentioned. But your dad's single core maybe a bit on the low end.  Take look at that score more closely as it normally takes the lowest subscore and while one will matter more to VDJ other scores may not.  here are my subscores for this laptop:

Processor: 5.3
Memory: 5.9
Graphics: 4.1
Gaming Graphics: 5.2
Primary HD: 5.8

-Fabio

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline JoeNobody

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
I need some input on what dad's using to connect his laptop top the mixer board. I asked him who told him that's what he needed, and he said, "Oh, I don't know. I don't remember. How else would you do it? I've been using that for years."

I responded that most people would use an external USB audio adapter.

He says, "I've never heard of such a thing. What the hell is that?"

What he's using is a USB device that plugs into his computer, then he uses RCA cables from that and adapts those to .25" into his mixer.

Behringer U-Control
Model#: UCA202

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »
Behringer U-Control
Model#: UCA202

This device is for recording not for playback...though it does have "monitor" port where you can plug in headphones to listen what's being recorded.  I have one of these I picked up by mistake a few years ago, but once I figured out what it was I gave it to my son who uses to record from his guitar.  This is an INPUT device to the laptop and what he needs for karaoke is an OUTPUT.  This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA

It's got RCA outputs and I have an RCA to 1/4" cables I use to plug into my mixer.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
BTW, this also has digital output but most mixers don't have digital input so the RCA to 1/4" works best.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke