Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Bose L1  (Read 22564 times)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bose L1
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
Posting here in case someone knows (Justin?)

So as a Xmas gift to myself I just bought Bose L1 Model 1S with B1 (thanks to Ron for helping with some info that made my decision easier to choose the right version for me).  Anyway, this means I no longer need my amp/mixer because the amp is built into the system.  This means I only need a mixer.  So I started looking at the options out there and I found that some come with USB ports.  I can't seem to figure out what these are used for...well, actually one thing I have sort of put together, is that they replace the external soundcard...but not in so many words, so I'm not 100% sure.  Does anybody know?  If so, how good are they compared to Soundblaster XFI or similar?

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Bose L1
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 05:34:50 PM »
In some cases it does replace the sound card (rather, add an additional device). I believe some also offer MIDI control, much like the turn-table scratch-pad devices a lot of DJs use (VDJ will support that in a future version...)

I'd read the full specs before spending a lot of money, to make sure it will work as you hope. If it offers a built-in sound card and some mic inputs, it should work for your purposes, though it may have features you don't need right now. Such features may eventually work with VDJ, like external play/stop/etc controls. I've already done a lot of MIDI programming in NGWave, so I'm pretty familiar with the internals of these devices.

If you post a link to some of the ones you're looking at, I can give you more of an opinion of how it might work for you...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
Thank for the quick response!   I saw your post about the minor update too  ;D

The ones I'm looking at are not super high end since I figured the L1 will handle the sound itself, I'll be using it just for the basic mic inputs.  None of them have the external play stop controls or scratch pad stuff. Here're are the ones I'm looking at:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QX1002USB/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1204USB

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MXP124FX

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MM8USBFX

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
Congrats on your Bose purchase Fabio!  I know you're going to like it.  :)

Ron

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
Yeah, Ron, thanks again for your responses  :).  I decided to go up one step from the L1 Compact because of it's scalability.  I was afraid that if I got the L1 Compact, I would not have enough bass and nothing I could do to upgrade to one of their subs.  It would have to be an a powered external sub, probably not Bose and it would defeat the whole purpose of trying to scale down my gear.  I was going to buy the L1 Compact and then I figured I'd upgrade later if I wasn't satisfied with the bass, but once I talked to one of  the "engineers" at Sweetwater, they set me right, so I bit the bullet and got the 1S which is the next step up and it is upgradable.

I did try to find the mixer you are using for price comparison but it's no longer being made. It would be nice if one of these mixers with USB (or maybe all) replaces the sound card as it's one less thing to plug in.  The only issue is if it will be as good as the current soundblaster.

It's supposed to arrive Dec 23 and I do have a Xmas eve gig...so I may have to learn fast, if I want to use it for that day...luckily it looks easy.  And for the moment, I might have to use my current amp/mixer.  I'll just have to be careful to  plug the line-out to the L1 instead of the mains. 

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »
Hi Fabio,

I think you selected the right Bose for your needs.  :)  Behringer makes a mixer just like the one I have, I know you can't get mine anymore, but check out the XENYX 1202FX.  It's set up exactly like mine and is only $109.99.  It's a good deal for the price.  Do some research if you're interested and see if it is what you need.  Let me know how your gig goes with the new Bose!

Ron

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »
Of the mixers you show, only the first one has USB audio for playback - the other ones all have USB *output*, for digital recording. Personally I like the 1204 Behringer, but it won't have a USB audio interface for playback...

Take a look at the QX1002 and you'll see it has two separate USB audio inputs you control like any other line. Personally I like sliders over knobs but that's a personal preference.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Yeah, I actually like those Behringers ...my current amp/mixer is a Behringer and it sounds good.  In fact, I have two of them.  I leave one at the bar where I host two nights, I also leave the two mains and the monitor there...so that setup will probably stay.  This is for the one where I only host one night and can't leave any gear there, so I have to carry everything  before the gig and carry it out at the end of the night, and this is the system I use for private parties/gigs.  At this point it would be overkill to use this behringher amp/mixer (I think it's one of their Europower 2000 series).

Ron, I did see the Xenyx 1202FX, but that's when I saw the QX1002 that Justin mentions...for the same price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QX1002USB/

Yeah, I agree with you Justin, it would be nice is this one had the sliders too.  Though I only see one USB port in the back, I don't see the 2nd one....or is the single port carrying two separate signals?

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
It would be one USB port as a 4-channel audio card. In Windows it would show as two separate sound cards (most likely).

I personally like Behringer. My "big" mixer is an old Behringer Eurorack 1604, but for DJing I tend to bring my smaller Samson MDR6 board. Both work very well, and the Behringer's great when using external effects; the MDR is nice as it has a separate MONO mix output with separate level, perfect for a sub. I originally used it with my Phonic wireless powered speaker, placed at the far end of the venue, and it worked well until one day it let out its magic smoke and didn't work any more lol... I got quite a few years use out of it, and it's too bad nobody makes a good wireless powered speaker anymore that I can find.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
That sounds like a good choice Fabio.  Let me know how it all works out for you.

Ron

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »
Yeah, it does sound like a good choice...it doesn't have those sliders but it looks like it's got everything I need...I'll let you guys know how that sound card sounds compared to the SB card. Thanks for your comments guys!
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
So I had sent a question to the Sweetwater techs/sales about the USB question and they finally got back to me.  He said as much about the USB option on the QX1002USB, but he was concerned that I wouldn't get stereo sound out of it. He recommended the Bose Tonematch which is nice, but it's over $400...apparently the L1 I got only has one Balanced TSR input.  Couldn't I get a dual 1/4" mono to single stereo cable like this to go from the mixer to the L1?  Like this?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/160656-REG/Hosa_Technology_STP_204_Stereo_1_4_Male_to.html

Or it won't work because it's not balanced?

but then again, I'm thinking that you don't really get stereo out of the L1 anyway because it's a single unit.  I suppose it can simulate the sound to sound like it's coming from two locations but it won't be true stereo anyway.

I suppose I can just get a TS 1/4 cable to plug from the left channel of the mixer to the TSR input on the L1 and it should work.  What do you guys think?

-Fabio

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
well...this is good.  The guy I spoke with before sent me a follow up email, and he said this:

Fabio,

I would go with that mixer: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QX1002USB/

and pan everything to the left. It is not like you can get a stereo image without two Bose systems.

The Tonematch does not make sense for you.

Thanks,

Ryan Wiltermood
Sweetwater Sales Engineer
800-222-4700 x1390
http://www.sweetwater.com

When I spoke with him, he did say he was going to verify some info and get back to me if he found otherwise about the Tonematch.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
Hi Fabio,

You're right, it's not really going to be stereo anyway because it's coming out of a one tower system.  What I did was get a 1/4" Y connector (1 female to plug into the cable that goes into the Bose and 2 male that go into the L & R channel on the mixer).  It works fine and I like it better that way instead of just going out one channel.  You don't have to worry about panning and I agree, the Tonematch is not what you need.

Ron

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Yes, a standard "Y" adapter would work, however the one you linked to will not. It is a single stereo to two mono adapter. You need a simple Y that would mix both outputs down to one...

Simply panning everything to the left wouldn't be ideal at all. Your music would be missing the right channel (it won't mix it down, it'll just turn off the right). Some songs have an instrument in only one channel - for example, the beginning of AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long, among many others.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO