Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Bose L1  (Read 22563 times)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bose L1
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
So, you're saying something like this?

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/357500.html

Basically mono at all three ends?

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
Thanks guys!

So basically something like this?:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/357500.html

-Fabio

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »
That would be the one :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
Sorry for the two posts.  I had posted the first one but it didn't show up,  so I decided to post it again.

Thanks Justin!
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Hi Fabio,

I'd recommend at least a 25 ft cord.  The cord that I got with my Bose only had one plug on each end, that's whey I got the adapter and it works great.

Ron

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
Yeah, I'll probably get two of them...a 10 footer for myregular gig where I probably only need a 10 footer and yes a 25 footer for the private parties.  I always like to have an extra cable of any cable I use just for backup.  I've found that even the most expensive cables can sometimes fail.  They probably fail less that the cheap ones, but occasionally they do.  So having a backup up is always best.

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 04:36:07 PM »
Justin:

It just dawn on me that this mixer, doesn't have any EQ knobs, does this mean that VDJ's EQ sliders become the defacto EQ settings?

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
It looks like that would be the case for the music. Your two main mic lines have a lo/mid/hi adjustment, but for the music you'd have to use the software EQ, which I have to say is pretty good quality (not just because I wrote it)... :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
but for the music you'd have to use the software EQ, which I have to say is pretty good quality (not just because I wrote it)... :)

Yeah, I got to say they're, though usually I set them to the ROCK setting and then use the knobs to change it when necessary.  At least it's good to know I'll only have one place to look if something needs adjusting.  I'll have to get used to tweaking with the software sliders...which is probably what I should have been doing in the first place.   ;)
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
One more post on the cable saga.... :P

So I had also put in an email to Bose about the issue the output/input issue and they DON'T recommend the Y cable...they say it will work in pinch but that's not the recommended.  They recommend plugging the output of the laptop (right and left channels into TWO separate LEFT channels on the mixer and panning each individually to the left channel then using a single TRS cable (from the left OUTPUT) at both ends from the mixer to the L1.  They gave a number to call if I had more questions, which I decided to call because of the USB input I'm intending to use.  The Bose tech said if the software I'm using has a MONO/panning feature, it would accomplish the same thing.  I know VDJ has the MONO feature under MULTIPLEX but that is activated on a per song basis and I wouldn't want o change that....I'm hoping when I the mixer arrives, the driver might give me some choices on that end and and won't have to mess around with VDJ...otherwise I'll have to make a decision on whether I use the USB on this mixer or use my current soundblaster card to plug into the the two left channels as was recommended originally or just use the Y cable, even though it's not the "recommended" way....hmmmm...

By the way, UPS destroyed/lost the mixer before it was even delivered to me...WTF...I contacted the seller and they're sending me a new one.  Take a look at this UPS tracking number  ??? :

1Z6W187E1284246709
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
I was watching Jeopardy and this news bumper came on...

[attachment deleted by admin]
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »
Got so carried away with the package thing I forgot about the cable situation. They are right, only because by using the "Y" cable you would be essentially shorting the two outputs (left + right) into each other. I've never had a problem doing something like that, but it can cause slight distortion at high output levels from the board... as long as you keep the board's output at around -6 (or within the orange) it's usually not a problem.

The only reason I recommended that over the other option was the USB audio part. I've been planning a "MONO" button on the main interface to simply MONO everything - I just keep forgetting to add it.

I'm going to fix a couple of issues (the QR and singer list updating on the CDG screen) real quick and I'll add a MONO button while I'm at it. Stay tuned...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
Interesting.  I've been using the Y connector without any problems, but it's good to know what Bose recommends.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
Justin:
Lol...I didn't the video earlier...yeah, that's probably what happened... ;)

I actually just remembered I head something in the news, about a UPS truck crashing in the NY area...this is probably where my package was. I ordered it from www.bhphotovideo.com which is located in NY (sweetwater.com didn't have it in stock):

EDIT: this is the wrong video...but you get the idea.
http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/ups-truck-causes-fiery-crash-on-i-4/vCPDY/

Ron:
Regarding the Y cable...from reading several articles in Mixing forums the Y cable is not recommended for this application...but apparently the shorting that Justin mentioned IF you solder a resistor between the leads...but I couldn't figure which ones and where you actually do the soldering.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:57:28 PM by Fabio »
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke