Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Just a tip from my own experiences...  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Just a tip from my own experiences...
« on: July 09, 2015, 09:59:54 AM »
I personally have two sets of speakers and a Behringer amplifier. So for large parties - especially outdoors - I configure as follows:

- Main "passive" speakers on a so-called 3000W amp as main audio, on the speaker stands
- Harbinger powered 600W speakers x2 under my DJ table (helps hide the wires, and directs the bass toward the dance area)

Now here's where it gets tricky: I use a Behringer MX1604A mixer board. I use the AUX 1 out to feed the music out, and right back in to an unused channel. That channel is set with the Bass all the way up, Mid and Treble all the way down. That channel is assigned to the "ALT 3/4" output, which is connected to the powered speakers, essentially making them into subwoofers. Then the main out goes to the full-range passive speakers/amp.

In this way I can control the bass separately from the main audio - depending on what's playing at the moment. Also, the microphone lines don't feed to the AUX 1 output (or at a lower level) to avoid that low frequency feedback. The whole setup sounds fantastic all together. The bass made my beer move around my DJ table and a couple pictures fell off my wall - and I wasn't anywhere near full volume in my apartment. Dying to try out this setup at my gig on Saturday, but pretty sure this will be my new setup from here out...

I may build or buy a subwoofer box and set it up the other way (powered speakers on the stands, and custom sub on the 3000W amp).

The good news is I'm getting back into DJing hardcore, which means more updates to VDJ will be on the way.

I'll attach a pic of my setup (which I'm running on Ubuntu Linux by the way) in my apartment...

EDIT: The Sansui monitor is what I generally use for Karaoke. At home I have it hooked to the 37" VIZIO on the left because it makes for a great computer monitor...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:07:47 AM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Just a tip from my own experiences...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »
Also since I'm using my Behringer mixer (which is more of a studio mixer), there's a second AUX channel I can still use with my reverb/effects processor for the Karaoke mics... all in all, it's highly technical but it works so great once everything is connected...

For fun here's a pic of my Bose 301's by the bigger TV that (in my apartment) I'm using for the main audio. When I DJ it'll be the other DJ speakers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:07:36 AM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
Funny how you don't realize how dusty your equipment is until you see it zoomed in on a photo from a good camera lol...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:15:26 PM »
yeah, that Numark Mixtrack Pro looks specially dusty!  :P

Interesting...running it on Linux...

:P
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke