Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Configuration Wizard?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Configuration Wizard?
« on: September 30, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
I'm working on a new idea for new users. VDJ can seem quite intimidating to new users, and they may have a difficult time figuring out how to get set up right away. So I'm working on a Configuration Wizard to show new users (with a "Skip" button of course for the seasoned user).

It will walk the new user through setting up VDJ:

- Separate windows or Integrated interface
- Number of player lines
- Folders to index
- Set up MIDI (DJ/turntables) controller
- Audio options (multiple sound cards, AGC and EQ, etc)
- Filename Display Options

And whatever else I can think of. I think it will be good even for seasoned users in the event of reinstall/upgrade, making it simple to start with the options you prefer. Perhaps I'll save the Wizard's settings separately, and keep those settings even after an uninstall - so it will default to what you set last time.

Any thoughts? Attached is a preliminary screenshot...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Configuration Wizard?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
Note that the screenshot is from within the development environment, you won't see the grid (the dots) in the actual window. Also there's a typo (click here if you wish to expand do this) hehe - it's in early stages right now :)

I *could* ask these questions during the install process, but that will add more things to have to rewrite when I try to put VDJ in the Windows store (you have to use their installer)...

Anyway if you can think of any other ideas to help a novice quickly get comfortable with VDJ's unique interface, I'd appreciate any input...

There are no other changes so it's not a necessary update :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:44:16 PM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:39:31 PM »
Okay, I've uploaded a new version (7.2.5) with the new little wizard thingy. It will only come up the first time you launch VDJ, and only if you wiped your settings clean (or if I make big changes to the Options structure, shouldn't happen for a while).

It's pretty basic, but helps get the initial configuration set up for new users.

I'll add more to it later on, but for now it's a start. Hopefully it will feel slightly less intimidating to new users.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:44:37 PM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 03:46:56 PM »
Sorry, I didn't respond earlier...it's been a sad/hectic day.  One of our dogs was in the animal hospital since Monday and she dies today.  My wife has been bawling.  Anyway, I got into work late and just been playing catch up.  I finally had a chance to download the new version with the wizard and re-install. I used it when re-installed just to try it. The wizard seems like a good idea for the basic stuff like that, but I'd suspect they will have more trouble with the editing of the CDG screen as something are not consistent in the interface there.  For example to set the font for the upcoming singers, you just click on the "choose font" and find the font you want and when you close the font dialog the font is applied (regarless on whether you have the "Apply changes in real time" checked or not.  However, when choosing the header and footer font when you click on the "Font" button and choose a font the changes are not applied when that dialog closes.  You still have to click the "set" button for the font to be applied.  Also, I'd think when you're saving the layouts, it should keep the font settings and the contents of the header and footer fields when you reinstall but it doesn't, they go back the defaults.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, that's never easy :(

The font applying immediately is a mistake on my part, thanks for pointing it out. As for layouts, yes, I should preserve those as well upon reinstall unless you choose to delete all settings...

I also want to add one more page to the wizard with some of the more obscure options, things like the AGC and other options a new user may not think to look for... I'm just waking up and I'm doing some drive formatting/swapping amongst computers lol so I'll ponder this later on.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO