Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Food for thought...  (Read 10543 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Food for thought...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
Darn it, I knew I forgot something: Can anyone tell me if there is a *standard* for which channel (left or right) contains the vocals in a multiplexed karaoke video file *and/or* CDG? I'll do a little research, but it would be nice if it was a standard so it can be done with one button...

If that's not the case, I'll make it a 3-way toggle button, much like how the Headphone button works. Click/tap once and it goes to right-only, again for left-only, and third click back to stereo... then you can quickly find which mode is correct on the fly. No right-click sub-menus to dig through.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
I meant to reply to this earlier and I thought I did from my cell phone, but I guess I never actually posted. It's been a busy weekend.  Saturday afternoon, I went to a Beer Tasting Festival then went home to recover for a few hours then had to get up to go host at the bar. Yesterday, I rode for Love Ride, a yearly benefit ride, which started at 8am...so I had to wake up at 7ish...I hate these early morning rides, but it was for a good cause...Jay Leno as usual was the grand marshall and at least the entertainment was great with Social Distortion and the Foo Fighters...although Dave Grohl had to perform from his "motorcycle thone" due to his broken leg:

I was supposed to go to a Kings Hockey game too, but I decided I was going to be wiped out if I, so I took a nap before going to host karaoke at my Sunday gig... :P

Anyway.....

I think the standard is as stated below (link below where I got it). 

http://www.acekaraoke.com/faq.html#.ViVYz36rRQI

What is a Multiplex Disc?
This is a disc with a split track. The left channel of the track has the vocal recording and the right channel of the track has the instrumental recording. This gives you the option of turning the vocals on or off on a karaoke player as the player will switch from left channel mono sound to right channel mono sound. When played on a regular CD player you will hear both the vocals and instrumentals.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 05:43:32 AM »
Interesting. I always thought the vocals were on the right track because whenever I used multiplex CDG's I turn on the left track only.  In fact, when you play a multiplex through VDJ it's the left channel that you have to mix down to.  If I'm reading the note Fabio posted the way I think I am, I disagree with it.

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
So my guess then is that it is in fact *not* standardized. Some companies do it one way and some the other... therefore I'll have to do the 3-state toggle.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 01:52:36 PM »
I think that's a good idea.  Just like it is now.  :)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 01:35:04 PM »
Youtube URLs won't work unless I embed a browser into VDJ - which I'm not prepared to do... at least not right now...

However you can easily find any number of Youtube Downloader plugins for Firefox or Chrome, and play the downloaded .flv or .mp4 file in VDJ.

Not a big deal, I just thought, if it was easy why not added.  I actually know how to download  the videos, I do use a plugin as mentioned.  In fact, it might better to download it anyway, because there would not be any streaming lags and if it's a song someone might sing again, it would be easier for next time the singer requests that song. as it would already be downloaded.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke