Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: More food for thought  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More food for thought
« on: October 15, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
For those of us who have a regular gig every week, I was thinking it would be nice to track how slow or busy each night is at each Venue.  Why is this important?  For me I'm hoping to be able determine whether a night is going to be a busy or slow sometimes depending on whether the date falls towards the end of the month or Fridays are better than Saturdays or whether there is long weekend due to a specific holiday.  For example say Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, I'm trying to determine if it's going to be busy or slow. For the life of me, I've been hosting karaoke for years and I can't remember!  This would help in determining whether I can take a day off or not.  I started thinking there has to be some sort of calendar tracking app on the Google play app store but I when I was looking for it around this of the year I was not able to find one.  Eventually I found an app that tracks your emotional state at 5 levels that you were able to edit/customize the labels for each emotional state.  So I downloaded the app and I changed the labels to very slow, slow, good, busy and very busy.  Each entry allows you to add a note to it so I would add the name of the bar I happened to be at and whether there was something special going on that day (like someone's birthdate).  So now I almost have full year of entries and I can see for example that Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving was "slow", but the Sunday was "busy".  I can also see that even though Xmas eve fell on a Wednesday and not a normal Karaoke night, I did host for a special birthday party and it was "busy".  Now Xmas day (Thursday) the bar was closed, so no hosting, but Friday, the 26th, it was "good" but Saturday 27 was "slow".  Now, I'm not sure how it will be this year during the holidays but I figure in another year I'd have a more solid "track" and be able "predict" how a particular weekend will be.  The other stuff I'm tracking on whether there events nearby such the Coachella Music Festival, Comic-con in San Diego or even the Grammy's, Emmy's or Superbowl weekend.  The problem with this app is that I have to remember each night to make an entry.  Needless to say, it has holes all over the place where I forgot to fill it in.  I wonder if this is something that can be built into VDJ so it's easy to fill in at the end of the night when I shut down VDJ.  What do you guys think?  is this something we can all use, or I'm the only geek who wants to track this kind of info?

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: More food for thought
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
Wow! I think you went a bit beyond anything I had planned to put into VDJ at this time... for me, it seems like there are just far too many variables that affect turnout. I'm not planning to become a statistician :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: More food for thought
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Haha haha! I knew I was the only geek !  No problem! I get it Justin- I knew this far out of the norm.  I still want to do this but I'm still looking for the right app.  The one I'm using is okay but I need a better one.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke