Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: The New Layout  (Read 7340 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
The New Layout
« on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
Working on the new player layout, and here is what I've come up with so far.

By default, you would have FOUR players, 2x2. To the right of that, the playlist player, which will expand, and then the master controls.
Below all of that will be the music database/karaoke queue/etc, stretched both ways to fill the rest of the screen.

Since each player will have a preview window for Karaoke/Video, there will be no need for the extra Karaoke tabbed thing on the lower-right.

If you choose, you can reduce it to TWO players, and the music db area would expand to fill that space.

This all means no more "separate windows", way too difficult to implement there. But I will offer multiple layouts, possibly allowing for drag 'n' drop arrangement (maybe an "edit mode" like in the Karaoke screen config).

Right now I'm working on the new player design. Since they'll be wider, there will only be ONE line of text for the file display - but you can customize it in the same way as before, using the %variables etc.

Still in early stages so no screenshots or mockups yet but stay tuned - that's my project for today and possibly the rest of the weekend (no gigs this week for me)...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
Re: The New Layout
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 10:51:57 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this.  It's going to be NICE!

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »
Okay, VERY rough layout idea. I decided NOT to put a player preview in each player, that would be too much (memory resources etc) as well as, it would be too small to be of any real use. Instead there will be a video-out section between the players, showing whichever line is on Preview (only one at a time).

So on this rough draft, this is a player for the left side of the screen. The ones on the right will be mirror-images, eg, the volume slider on the left, etc.

The "Load" button load the selected file, and a right-click or "long tap" would pop out a menu with the following options:

- Selected File (from whichever tab is open on the music db area)
- Open... (open dialog)
- Reopen Previous
- Clear File

The MPX button would toggle the following 4 states when tapped, but a long-tap (or right-click) will pop-out a menu with the same options:

- Stereo
- MPX Left
- MPX Right
- MONO Mix  <-- I find this handy when my speakers are far apart, and I'm playing something like The Doors where the separation is just too much

The Trigger button would go "around the block", eg, 1->2,  2->3,  3->4,  4->1. It would toggle off and on with a single click -- HOWEVER: Right-click or long tap would present:

- Trigger Player 1
- ...2 and so on
- Trigger Playlist (starting at whatever file is currently selected in the playlist)

I forgot the button under the pitch slider, but it will toggle "Pitch", "Tempo", and "Key" (key only available on Karaoke CDG files).

The crossfader will be much more simple - it will fade between all players to the left and to the right. That's it. Much more simplified.

The STOP button also will either stop, or long-tap/right-click will give you the Fade Out & Stop option.

I like this idea - the most commonly used buttons will work with a quick, single click, and for the lesser used options you can right click for a menu.

Anyway, now to the graphics side of things.

Also by the way, all of these settings (even stuff hidden under a menu) will reflect in the black box area, which will also have a LARGER count-down timer, perhaps with a smaller count-up timer (elapsed) as well.

<EDIT> heh forgot attachment
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
I decided NOT to put a player preview in each player, that would be too much (memory resources etc) as well as, it would be too small to be of any real use. Instead there will be a video-out section between the players, showing whichever line is on Preview (only one at a time).

Does mean you can choose which preview is displaying, for example if you wanted to see what a karaoke song looks like and sounds like (through the second sound card) different that the one currently being sung?

This all means no more "separate windows", way too difficult to implement there. But I will offer multiple layouts, possibly allowing for drag 'n' drop arrangement (maybe an "edit mode" like in the Karaoke screen config).

Dang!...okay, I understand about the separate Windows....but I like the the re-arrangement idea, I think that would solve the problem for me.  The major reason I liked the separate windows was the Singer Queue could be made larger...or rather taller or as tall as the screen.  This is handy when there are lots of  singers and you don't want to be scrolling up and down to get to the top or bottom of the list...but will this mean that singer queue could be a separate panel (I'm trying to avoiding using "separate window").

MONO Mix  <-- I find this handy when my speakers are far apart, and I'm playing something like The Doors where the separation is just too much

Will you still have a master MONO?

The Trigger button would go "around the block", eg, 1->2,  2->3,  3->4,  4->1. It would toggle off and on with a single click

I'm glad this is still part of the new interface as this one of the features that make VDJ stand out from the others.  I wish there was a right click option to make it stop regardless of the trigger setting but specifically for the 4th line, in case you didn't want it to continue from 4 to 1.  Kind of like the playlist setting where you click the button "stop after this".

The STOP button also will either stop, or long-tap/right-click will give you the Fade Out & Stop option.

I'm glad you're keeping this.  I use it all the time specially when there's a long ending to the song but there are no more lyrics.

I like this idea - the most commonly used buttons will work with a quick, single click, and for the lesser used options you can right click for a menu.

yes, this is a great idea there are buttons like the trigger that need to stay as single clicks and there buttons that don't have to be.

LARGER count-down timer, perhaps with a smaller count-up timer

Personally I think the current size is fine, the screen is already pretty busy and current size can easily be seen.  As far as the count UP timer, I'd say make it an option for either but not both...I think it would be confusing to see both at the same time.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
Quick answers to each of your questions:

- Preview player will show whichever line is on Preview (mutually exclusive; only one line can be on preview at a time). As soon as previewing is stopped it will go back to whatever is on the second screen. It will be clearly indicated what it's showing (somehow).

- Master MONO - yes, of course... I've done gigs with just one speaker before, and it's just easier that way, than having to run the left & right into two mono channels on the mixer...

- Trigger - I guess you mean the "always default" having an option to stop at the last player... I'll give it some thought

- Countdown timer - I would personally like it bigger, just makes it easier to read. I think I'm going to get away from the LCD look and use a normal font :)  Actually I wasn't going for LCD, more like vacuum fluorescent display like you find on stereo receivers and even some car stereos (GMs in particular)... or microwave ovens...

As for the count-up timer, I suppose you're right, unnecessary clutter would make it too busy...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
The countdown timer seems okay, even on the 15 inch TV (720p) I use for the singers, but I'm using HDMI , so maybe that would account for it?   Maybe if you're using RCA or s-video it might not seem so clear.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
I wasn't referring to the count-down timer on the Karaoke screen - I was talking about in the player lines :)  The external screen is fine for me, and I use a 19" LCD TV with S-Video -> RCA (lowest possible quality) and set it up about 15 feet away from where I sit. I can read that from there so I know the singers can read it.

But on the laptop screen, in the player line, from a distance or at an angle, sometimes it's hard to read. My co-DJ often has to lean over me to read it (which I don't mind so much, she's definitely an asset ;) ). A lot of times she sings from behind the desk and likes to glance at the screen to see where she's at.

I'll be posting a better mock-up later on. I'm considering making it somewhat "skinable", or at least offering a couple of different "looks". This way other users can submit better graphics to share with the world. I'm not so much a graphics guy myself, but I know there are some good graphic artists out there who would be willing to create some really cool skins.

Note that I did this back in about 1999, and at that time a lot of users created some nice skins. After a few rewrites I sorta got rid of the skinning part... but it wouldn't be that much to add that back in.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
Okay so here is my process right now... I'm creating a new "player" control to eventually replace the "line" control. Right now I'm running them side by side as I copy code over from one to the other, and modify as needed for the new layout.

So... wanna see a mess of a "work in progress"? hehe don't worry, that "skin" may not stay, just something to work with for now.

Also, got a call a few minutes ago and I have to do Karaoke night at the American Legion tonight... and since this laptop/desktop is also my main DJ computer - well I have to make sure the old 2015 is installed and working, 'cause 2016 is a bit of a mess (fully functional, just looks like garbage lol). My new laptop only has HDMI, and at this bar I always hook to a 42" on the wall behind me as well as my 19" so the singer can face the crowd - via RCA cables and a Y splitter. Eventually I need to pick up some long HDMI cables and a splitter... it would certainly look a lot better (though the crowd doesn't seem to mind, but I really want to use the little HP at a gig and use touch screen).

Hopefully by next weekend (2 separate Halloween parties, friday and saturday) I'll have the necessary cables and VDJ 2016 in a "workable" state...

<edit> Once again forgot to attach the pic...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 01:36:26 PM »
yeah, it does kinda' looks messy  ;D but I imagine it's part of the process.  My only concern right that since you're no longer going to use the separate windows, I won't be able to see all the singers in the queue...just remember I'd need to "grow" the singers queue possibly to the top of the screen...otherwise scrolling up and down when you have 30 plus singers on the queue is going to be a royal pain in the A!  if you need to separate the QUEUE tab from the rest of the tabs is fine with me...whatever you need to do to make that happen is fine with me.

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline mydjkj.com

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
Why couldn't the buttons be vertical up and down the player. The volume could be to the right or left of the buttons (personally I would prefer right). You don't need the key adjustment since there is other places to adjust that like when putting in a name. You could always have access to it by a right click during play if you need to adjust it on the fly or put it back in the master section where the singer screen view is.

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 04:15:10 PM »
This post is from a previous build.. Prior to Jan 2016

The new build from what Justin has said will be nothing like what you are using right now....

Chaz