Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Rotation Mgmt  (Read 11245 times)

Offline chaz

• View Profile
Rotation Mgmt
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
Is there a place for notepad or a way to keep your rotation list... I currently have to open a notepad and constantly flipping screens

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rotation Mgmt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:28:37 PM »
No, there isn't...what kind of info do you need on notepad to keep for rotation? And give me so example of what you do, maybe I can tell you how to do it better.  I host every weekend at a couple of bars and my Sunday night it's not unusual to have over 30 singers on my queue the other nights are not as busy but they vary from about 10 to 20 singers and I never have to keep notepad or anything open to keep the rotation in order.  I've been told by many bar patrons how nice my rotation works and they love how they can just change their song when they need to without loosing their spot.

You are using the Karaoke Queue tab, right?

If you *absolutely* need to keep notepad open you can set the display as separate windows and resize notepad to a window size that fits an open spot.  Here's something I did for you...I don't normally arrange my windows like this.  You'll notice notepad in the lower left corner and it will stay there without having to flip between screens...but I'm still interested in how you do your rotations.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:39:16 PM by Fabio »
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:10:18 PM »
I personally don't need the notepad but some of the DJ's who work for me do.... That is all fine with separate windows, but that wont be an option soon...

I ask questions from experience and what I have learned in our 20+ years.
We have been digital since 2001 and have really only ran one software since 2003.. KGR or
Karaoke Go-Round
Just I guess I had spoiled myself... I have tons of ideas to help ....
Most of our singers are spoiled as well .. they are used to seeing their history of songs.. Previewing karaoke songs... having a unique sign in .. no-one can sign them up for songs without their password.
etc...

But I need to go to something that leans toward the mobile environment.

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:21 AM »
I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to add a sign-in feature built-in to the program (no outside server needed). Then they could change their profile picture, look over their "saved songs" and even edit them, etc... give me some time, but I think I can manage to add more features to the app.

You're not the only one asking for more app features, I get at least 2 to 3 emails a week on the subject. It's been on the back burner since I first threw it out there, but after I get a few other things done, I'll work on the app some more.

As for the Notepad thing, I personally have been considering adding a scratch-pad note area. It would be great for the bartenders' names, drink specials, birthdays etc... currently I tend to use a pen and paper lol.

Your ideas are more than welcome - that's what these forums are for, and many of VDJs features have come from ideas posted here.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to add a sign-in feature built-in to the program (no outside server needed). Then they could change their profile picture, look over their "saved songs" and even edit them, etc... give me some time, but I think I can manage to add more features to the app.
That would be an awesome direction to go.. excited about it.

You're not the only one asking for more app features, I get at least 2 to 3 emails a week on the subject. It's been on the back burner since I first threw it out there, but after I get a few other things done, I'll work on the app some more.
If you need any help or suggestions.. Let me know.

As for the Notepad thing, I personally have been considering adding a scratch-pad note area. It would be great for the bartenders' names, drink specials, birthdays etc... currently I tend to use a pen and paper lol.
Even if you had to add another Tab area or two.. Could the singers of that DAY be automatically when song gets put in ..added to a list. This list could hold your rotation names, it could allow drag and drop .. up down movement. with delete and add ...
Example:
If singer A puts a song in their name goes to top of list.. Singer B next in line.. Just their names to keep the rotations.

Also an tab just for notes.. scratch pad etc..

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:02:16 PM »

Yup, that would be awesome, I've asked for this feature as well before, I'm glad you're finally thinking about it Justin  ;D
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
My thinking on this is simple: They create an account, which can be just a username and password (username will be same as display name), and optionally a picture. Before they can use the account the DJ has to "approve" it. I'm not going to get into email confirmation etc - they can just walk up one time and you click Approve. Or if you see it pop up, you can approve it if you already know who the person is.

From there, if they forget their password you can give it to them or reset it easily within the program (this is part of why I'm going to make the "requests" tab a separate popup window. A button will flash when there's activity, and clicking it brings up the window).

I'll let them view and edit their own "saved songs". This is a lot of work, and the app improvements may come at a later date (after the 8.0 release). For right now I'm more focused on the new layout.

I wish I had a graphics guy "on staff" lol... I'll figure something out one day when I'm feeling creative...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 01:41:53 PM »
Just wondering if this is still burning in the back of your mind..  I have so many people asking about their history or if they can save songs.. They will say something like I have so hard of a time thinking of what to sing today.. I wish I had my list..

My reply is to keep a list on their phone.. but that is too difficult .. lol...

Offline mydjkj.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:42 AM »
Can an auto rotation be added in a future version? I don't believe there is an option for that currently.

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
   Need for Singer Rotation I have been running with a singer rotation using Excel for a little over 5 years and my clients love it.  (See attached picture 1)

If your software would allow for displaying a singer rotation on the screen it would be greatly appreciated (see second picture).

Here is how I see it working:
o   Singer turns in a request.
o   KJ enter song in search and queues song
   Song is added to queue as it currently does.
   Song is added to stored singers as it currently does.
   Singer is queued into the Rotation tab if not already present.
o   Rotation tab
   Contains all singers for the current show.
   Is drag and drop shuffle-able to change the rotation as needed.
   Contains only songs for current show (not full history).
   Allows for storing current rotation for history purposes.
o   Karaoke Screen

   Allows for showing rotation List singers in rotation from top to bottom (as a bonus; could highlight current singer on the list based on current song playing) with option of left or right of screen.
   If the rotation list is too long for the screen it would adjust upward on the screen with the current singer on top.  When the rotation ends and it starts back at the top, the top part of the rotation would appear and again slide up with each singer to show the next in rotation on the screen at the bottom until the bottom of the list appears.
   Allows for images as currently defined with option of left or right of screen.
   Allows for timer as currently defined.
   Allows for QR Code on the singing screen (left or right option).

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
I like the app to add song requests, but I too have been spoiled by another app that allows for customers to log in under their own login, save "favorites", and send in requests before they even get to the show.  Even having this feature available as an add-on (at an additional nominal cost) would be acceptable to me as I currently pay for a service with a server to be able to do this...  www.songbookdb.com 

Their service is really nice, but it would be great to have something similar that ties into the VDJ software.

Thanks!

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 11:11:56 PM »
I didn't care for songbooks db.. i tried it early on and it was a pain.. might be better now..
Tonight we had 36 singers throughout the night .. 24 used their phones, 9 used our kiosk and 3 ask me to put songs in for them..

I have switched to how Fabio set his up.. our addy is ocamusic.com   anyone can just goto website... and put songs in while we are open.. Works like a charm...

I like the pics on the screen for singers.. I dont think I would use a on screen rotation tool.. Though having a rotation management included in the program would be nice.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I also tried songbookdb.com and it was a bit of a pain though having a favorite list for the singer would be nice. I'm using my own domain to host mine (fabiosbook.com) but I wouldn't mind paying for the service as an add-on. As for the on-screen rotation,  I don't think I'd be useful for me, but having a rotation management would be nice. I like DJ Sultan's rotation tab!
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 10:24:19 AM »
Having where you are playing the current rotation.. All other requests for a particular singer go to a queue until the next rotation starts..
If we could connect our singers to their facebook for photos and history that would be great... Their login details would be their screen names...etc

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »
Songbookdb is far from perfect.  The fact that I have to regularly create a new songlist so my customers have access to search all my songs is a pain.  But all of the negatives I have lean towards the admin side.

From a users perspective:
1. Search results are more user friendly than VDJ. Results are grouped by song with radial buttons to select which version you want (or just click send if you are not sure or don't care).  The VDJ list is sorted by Disk-Track.  Disk-Track usually means nothing to a majority of karaoke singers. 
2. "Favorites" feature is a huge favorite of clients (just click "sing" on a song in favorites and off it goes).
3. Gig Guide provides the clients with upcoming gig information.
4. Clients can request songs without being on the same network (unlike VDJ).

I am not trying to promote Songbookdb, just using that as an example of features that karaoke singers and hosts like that would enhance VDJ Studio and raise the "value" of the product!