Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: I change my mind more often than my underwear...  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
I change my mind more often than my underwear...
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:30:35 AM »
Okay, I've decided that I do NOT want to make such a drastic interface change. So Fabio, you can keep your "separate windows" feature if you like :)  BUT:

Player lines will be wider with bigger buttons and fonts. The screenshot shows where I'm at so far. I have a lot of graphical elements to work on, but this is fully functional right now. I then need to make those same changes to the Playlist player etc.

But this way, I keep the basic overall look & feel that my customers have gotten to like, rather than copy-catting everything else on the market. Mine was one of the first (1997 is when I started on this), and it remains one of the most unique.

So anyway, Repeat will be replaced with MPX; Blank space under it will be Preview; Trigger stays there (but different graphic). The little window-green-arrow thing brings up the lesser used functions like "ZERO", "Repeat" and "SHOW EQ". I'm tempted to remove the Mute option all together (when on preview it will automatically be excluded from the main mix)... still not sure though.

The larger buttons and fonts make it much easier on a smaller laptop screen, and very touch-friendly. Note the icon that shows what type of file is open in a line - music, karaoke or (not shown) video.

Time to take a break and clean this mess of an apartment lol...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: I change my mind more often than my underwear...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:53:54 AM »
By the way, I got rid of the minus sign as well as the hundredths of a second (tenths is more than enough and less obnoxious). I am debating whether to make the whole program "skin-able" or just the background image (which as you can see, will shine through all the controls). Each player will also take on a transparent "decals" image over-layed on the background picture (like what's behind the slider, etc).

The slider caps are allowed to be transparent, and in fact the images are a bit larger than the visible cap (for touch purposes, easier to get hold of it).

Then the display area (the timer etc) is just fixed with your color scheme, no skinning there.

If I make it skin-able, it'll be as simple as editing the graphics and putting them into a .zip file. I may have an integrated skin dialog with user-contributed skins showing up as they are submitted (and approved). I did this years ago and got good response... so we'll see what the community comes up with.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
You wear underwear???  lol

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
Okay, I've decided that I do NOT want to make such a drastic interface change. So Fabio, you can keep your "separate windows" feature if you like :)

Lol...thanks...sorry if I'm making it harder...but in my defense I usually get compliments from people on how cool VDJ looks, some people will sometimes stand behind me (which is kind of awkward) just to watch me use it. Sometimes I'm thinking that they're there to ask me a question but when I ask them they usually say they're just watching.

Player lines will be wider with bigger buttons and fonts.

I'm totally cool with that!  I actually didn't have a problem with the 4 lines you were thinking about.

I'm tempted to remove the Mute option all together (when on preview it will automatically be excluded from the main mix)... still not sure though.
Personally I don't use it but my back up KJ does when she's moving a a song into the second line she'll mute it because she wants to move begining of the play spot because the slider is not displayed unless you have clicked the play button.  Having the playback slider always available would avoid that altogether.  I don't use it because it's usually so tiny I'm afraid of clicking on repeat accidently, so I just slide the volume on the line all the way down then click the play button for a second so that the playback slider appears....again, having the playback slider always visible would negate the need for a mute button.

As far as the skins...when I started using VDJ there was an option for the skins but there were none that I could find so I never used it, so obviously I never used them.

You wear underwear???  lol
Commando?

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline mydjkj.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:40:23 PM »
I agree to keep the same format. Could you add green to the play buttons and maybe red to the stop buttons? I think it would be easier and quicker to operate. Going to a larger font would help also or if it could be changed in the options section. Love the format. One thing I noticed is that if I try to attach a name to an mp3 and drag it to a karaoke player. If for some reason I need to drag it back to my Que list it loses the name. Unlike when using zip or mp3+g files.  Thanks!!