Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: External Hard Drives  (Read 4232 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
External Hard Drives
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:53 PM »
I've learned the hard way that there are HUGE differences in external hard drives. I made the mistake of purchasing a Toshiba 1TB USB 3.0 drive, and here are the problems:

- Even when I *know* it is properly using the USB 3.0 standard (the LED lights blue instead of white), the transfer rate sucks. But even worse:
- Access time. It almost feels like it is having to spin up every time I access a different file (even when I know it is spinning).

So you get on a nice roll, making your speech on the mic, all ready to hit that "Play" button at just the right moment, when....... half second of silence.

Anyway, I recently received two 1TB Dell branded Seagate drives, and one actual Seagate branded 2TB drive, and the access time and speed is insanely fast. Just in time for this weekend (two different Christmas/Fundraiser parties). Plus now I have backups and a second system for Alicia in the event of a double-book. Very happy with these drives.

No matter the brand, really read the reviews first. And just because it says "Dell" or "HP" or whatever, it's helpful to know what actual drive is inside the plastic case. I've always had a soft spot for Seagate, hated Toshibas (even a Toshiba laptop often comes with a better hard drive made by someone else)...

Just some random observations, been a very long week and weekend... I'll have some VDJ status updates coming soon. In experimenting, using a stylus that came with an iPhone case, I can actually write "metallica" or "elvis presley" on the screen and get search results... very neat and surprisingly effective Windows 10 feature...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: External Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
Quick addendum, even the best/fastest hard drive will still be limited by the quality of the controller board it is connected to, the quality of the USB 3.0 port and cable, and other factors...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/