Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Major update coming soon... along with some good news  (Read 20193 times)

Offline chaz

• View Profile
Re: Major update coming soon... along with some good news
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:48 AM »
Yes and it works great.. but one key I would say is to be sure to buy domain from zone edit. Also a couple of days afterwards you will get an email asking for confirmation.. be sure to complete..

It still gets bogged down at one of our karaoke places because they have such poor wifi. Our host computer needs to connect for the vpn to work.. We might just start using hotspot vs their wifi.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
Yeah, the wifi of the bar is usually the weakest part of the whole thing.  I had a bar that had the wifi signal coming from their office which was directly behind the bar.  This meant the signal had to go through all the refrigerators and bottles on the wall...needless to say the signal was crap.  I managed to convince them to drill a hole through the wall and connect a wifi hotspot in front. I ran a new Ethernet line to the front of the bar through that hole and put in a 2nd wifi spot for me to use.  I found a good wifi router on craigslist for $25 and now it's permanently there.  The signal is sooo much better and I can actually use it.  Occasionally I do run into  a problem with a bar's internet going down and I have to use the hot spot on my smartphone.  It's rooted so I don't have to pay extra for the hot spot on it (don't tell my cell phone company  :P ).  I just fire it up and as long as I got good cell phone signal I can make it work for the night.

If Justin is not planning on hosting his own server karaoke books server,  I wouldn't mind seeing this web app be on it's own, so it can be transferred to a hosted site.  All we'd have to do is connect to our site via VDJ administration and have it retrieve all the requests.  I believe even the vdjdb7.dat  file can be transferred which is my understanding the file that holds the karaoke and music database.  In my case it's about 14MB which not a small file, but it's not that big either.  I got about 90,000 files between karaoke and mp3s.  It can probably be uploaded automatically at the beginning of the night or just went it's needed. If Justin were to do this, we wouldn't need the VPN.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Termite

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 02:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the info . . . where I'm only doing a few karaokes I'll prob not invest in the direct route.

Might take a look at some stage though. . . I do have an Amazon AWS server I use for hosting websites, wonder if there is a way to make that the "server" everyone connects to, then have the laptop (via 4G on my phone) connect to that server and "copy" the server side files so it just duplicates what's up there (if I'm making myself clear) :)

Would mean I can have a perm server running, do a gig (reset the database if needed) and people connect to that webserver and submit requests, then every couple of mins a script on my laptop copies the "database" over. But without knowing the structure right now no idea if that would work :)

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »
Yeah, if you're not hosting karaoke as much then I wouldn't recommend the VPN.  It's too expensive.  I'm not married to PureVPN, if I was able to find a better/cheaper service I'd use it, but so far that is the best one I've found.  The one nice part about it having a VPN is the ability to stream video from other location.  For example in my trip to Cancun I was able to stream NHL games on my tablet and keep up with the playoffs as well as stream Netflix and Hulu as if I was in the US.  Also, when I went to Thailand in November I was able to stream NFL games on my tablet.  It also helped me while I'm here in the US as it helps to stream local blacked NHL games during the regular season.

As far as the server...I don't think it would work as it's currently running. It currently communicates directly to VDJ, just copying files won't work.  It would have to be designed that way by Justin.  I do know it's possible as he and I tested it back in version 6.  He setup a server and gave me me a specially designed version of VDJ (a test version) where I had to enter a username and password.  It would connect then I just gave the singers a url for my songbook.  The problem he figured is that he needed his own box not a virtual hosted server as you get with most plans because there were latency issue (I believe).  He eventually released it without that feature and said he would eventually set up a real one and make it a subscription based system to help him pay for the hosting of his box.  I'm still waiting for that as I would gladly pay him what I'm paying the VPN.  I think his problem is that he is one man show and he was envisioning tech support night mares.  If he decides to change it instead to let everyone host their own by giving us all the tools to upload to own server he might avoid the tech support issues.  For those of us with the technical savvy we would do it, but to those without they'd just use it as is.  In fact, even if he decided to charge separately as an s additional tool some of us would gladly pay for it.  :)

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
Any updates on progress?

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 06:26:08 AM »
Not a whisper on the site for 2 weeks (May 23rd was the last comment on any forum topic, and that was mine).  Any updates?   8)

Offline ikaraoke

• One Show At A Time.
    • View Profile
    • ikaraoke.ca
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 06:16:36 AM »
Hello Justin, I am not sure if I told you guys or not.  I was invited in March 2016 to speak on the the topic of karaoke at the Canadian DJ SHow. Apparently I am an authority in this subject here....LOL!  I had a bunch of things I wanted to speak on but never really got to it because I totally went rogue with Virtual DJ.  I demo'd it in front of a group of 50 active operators and newbs.  They all loved it except for the hardcore DJ users that like the typical DJ interface with 2 decks...yada yada yada.  So if you have had an influx of Canadian DJ sales, you'll know where it came from. Cheers!  Next year I will be speaking there again and will do  full blown working demo.

The only issue I have had with this software is when many people use the VPN and it boggs or freezes my system up.  What can I do to relieve that?  As of now I stopped using the QR feature and I only place 1 laptop out for requests. 

Below is an image of my customized layout that users get to see.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:21:31 AM by ikaraoke »

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 07:48:33 PM »
That's pretty cool!

I understand Justin  is gone for a couple of weeks.  I'm sure he'll be happy with the news when gets back!

Checkout my page, like you, I've customized it quite a bit:

fabiosbook.com

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 08:41:36 PM »
I have mine customized as well....  ocamusic.com

We do a little advertising on ours