Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Singer Names  (Read 8639 times)

Offline Garygsax

• View Profile
Singer Names
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:50:53 AM »
Hi, wonder if anyone can help, can you manually put singers names up on the karaoke screen without attaching to a song ? maybe i'm not reading the help screen properly, thanks

Garygsax

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Singer Names
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Hi Garygsax:

Unfortunately there is no way to add a singer without adding a song.  If someone just wants to be on the list but doesn't know what they want I usually just put in a random song for them.  If I know them well and I know they can take a joke, I'll usually put in one of the various parody songs out there, like "Pissin' in the Wind".   It's easy enough to replace it with a real song when they're ready.  You can also make a copy of one you regular karaoke songs and rename it as "--------------.zip"  or if you have them unzipped, just rename both the mp3 and cdg file,  so when you want to add a singer with nothing listed, just add that song  instead.  In fact, I use the "----------.zip" as a way split the rotation when a singer gives me multiple songs.  I will usually add a singer called "----" with song "----------".zip and I will add additional songs below that and I won't move up their next song until they've sang their first song.

Best
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Garygsax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »
Thanks Fabio ,will do, most of the singers i have up sing the same bloody song anyway so i'll put their name onto the usual songs they always TRY to sing, ha ha

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 01:41:21 PM »
Lol...actually, if you have saved songs for them, that works even better. 

I have some singers who have 20 or 30 songs so I grab one of them...one that fits the mood of the night and about 50% they end up singing that song I picked for them.  Some nights I do better than 50% specially when they say, "just pick my songs the rest of the night".  ;D

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »
That is one thing I plan to improve upon - the ability to simply show WHO is up next, not necessarily what they are singing. Shit half the time people change their mind as soon as they are handed the mic anyway... so this will be a new option in the 8.0 version coming (hopefully) soon...

Also plan on the singer being able to use their own damned camera phone and submit a selfie (to be approved by the DJ of course...) for the profile pic. Less work on the DJ, and they can update it daily/hourly/each song, whatever they want to do...

The reason for the "approval" is mostly... if you remember the trend at weddings where they put disposable cameras at each table, and inevitably a ... private part ends up in their photo album.... lol now days they just use an app but I figured same precautions for "on the big screen" pics, should be approved by the host. Especially if you're doing a children's party or benefit... some people are a-holes no matter the venue lol
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
Also plan on the singer being able to use their own damned camera phone and submit a selfie

I love this idea...I've basically stopped using pictures because the FB pictures stopped working for me and it's too much work to take their pictures and crop them properly. When it's slow, it not too bad, but when it's busy, it's nearly impossible.  And, yes the approval is a necessary evil!

Also, I've posted this before...it would be great to have a search box on each singer's list.  As I've mentioned before, I have singers that have quite a large list of songs and a quick search based on their songs would make life easier.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »
I still use the facebook feature.. It works.. Not sure if there is an easier way but this works.. It is a slow process..

I always forget to save singers songs when they add them from their phone.. When I add a song from the database on the hosting computer I tend to freeze everything up for a second or two. So i tend to add songs from my phone more for singers.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »
Interesting that FB still works for you.  Mine just gives me an error.  :(

See the error I get for this singer (picture attached).  You'll notice his picture is there now, but when I tried to update the picture (he has a different picture now than the one shown) it just gives me the error.  Chaz, what version of Windows are you using....I'm not thinking that this feature stopped working at around the time I upgraded to Windows 10...I'm wondering if you're using a different version.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:10:35 PM »
Windows 8.1 and just switched both rigs to windows 10 .. no issues with pictures.. Using the facebook ID

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »
Fabio mentioned this problem to me in the past and I have yet to verify an issue on any of my 3 Windows 10 machines (he brought it up back when I was on Win7 on one machine and 8.1 on the other two, still couldn't replicate the problem). To this day I can pull up FB pics as long as their profile is set Public...

But the Selfie idea I think will solve all of that. The user would submit a pic, and upon DJ approval, become their new "face" so to speak... still working on that but it's not very far off right now...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 05:17:39 PM »
 :(

I guess it's just me having this issue...I'm gonna have to start looking at the permissions...maybe it's firewall issue...I'll report back if I find anything.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
I just looked at the picture you posted a little closer.. You are trying to use the Facebook name which doesn't work.. but using the ID will.

If anyone needs help, here is how to get it to sync with Facebook.
1) Go to Facebook and look up singers Facebook page in search. Right click to copy link address .. See first image
2) Go to http://findmyfbid.com/ or another similar site to get the Facebook ID # ..
3)Paste in search area the link you just copied and hit enter
4)Success.. Copy Facebook Id #
5)In VDJ Highlight saved singer and click properties
6)Click Facebook button and paste ID# and click done..

Takes a few steps but works without fail on all windows versions I have tried.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »
Thanks Chaz...I actually began using a similar site after the regular way it stopped working on my laptops.  It is a real work around.  I pretty much work alone, my backup KJ, just works when I'm not there.  I tend to allow people to give me their song in whatever way they want.  They can give to me verbally, with a slip or with the web app.  I know KJs who are like the soup Nazi, where people have to write their requests on a list or a slip and can't submit additional songs...etc. I'm more easy going with that, but it does make me a little busier than most, though more and more are opting for the web app.  So for now, the extra step just gets a little tough when it's super busy so I stopped using it.

I'm looking forward to people submitting it themselves!
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 06:56:11 AM »
I remember the days of songslips.. I have been digital and using a sign-in kiosk station of some sort since 2003. I don't miss the other way at all.. So like you I don't complain about a couple of extra steps of being busy while working.. Makes the nights go by a bit faster.

Funny thing last night... I have a new Trivia franchise I bought into and have been running that on a few various nights.
The instructions are simple:
Text a keyword to this phone number xxx-203-xxxx : Last nights keyword was Jalapenos
When you get your response reply with your team name.
Reply by texting your answers in.
Simple to register, simple to play

Guy says last night .. this is a lot of work to register for a trivia game. I couldn't help but laugh.. Actually afterwards I told my wife how old I feel nowadays.. LOL

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
Lol...yeah, i have trouble with some people using the webapp, I used to have them connect to the wifi and them I'd post the IP at the top of the screen.  I had been given control of the bar's wifi, so it was easy to make the same ip (192.168.1.60) so it would be easy for people, but people thought it was too hard to connect to the WIFI first (which was free) and they didn't understand the IP and some people had trouble connecting to the WIFI, specially people with iphones.  I then experimented with using dynamic DNS where I could host my domain fabiosbook.com dynamically, so people wouldn't have to connect to the wifi, the problem is that some of the bars' wifi routers interface werent' that friendly when it came to opening port 80 or 8080 or were already use by the bar's camera system.  Even if port 8080 was available some people had problem with fabiosbook.com:8080....they kept entering without the ":8080" also if some people did connect to the wifi already the way that routers handle domains within the same network means they'd get an error that it can't connect, even if everything was correct on their phones.  For those people I'd have to tell they disconnect from the wifi (the reverse of what I was telling them before).  I figured I'd make it easier and bough an android tablet and a mount and purchased a KIOSK Browser app so it would only run my site and people couldn't go elsewhere on the web....and people wouldn't use it!  I'd get 1 or two people to use it per night and that was it.   I'd understand the old folks like you Chaz...jk...but these are people in the 20s!  Also the tablet couldn't escalate the size of the site, it would still make it tiny (the perfect size for a phone) even though it was a 10 inch tablet.  For the time it was taking me to setup a day, it wasn't worth it.  So checked with some of the cell phone companies to see if any of them had a mifi device that I could have port 80 open on it.  The only one that said was available was Sprint, which is my cell phone company, so per their sales person I purchased the device they recommended....and it didn't work!!  Their tech department had no idea what I was asking to do (really!!).....and I couldn't find the sales person who told me it would work....needless to say I had to return the device and pay whatever fees for the time I had used it... or had attempted to use it.  Luckily I didn't get into a contract. Justin had mentioned he was planning to run a server where we'd connect and people looking for songs would connect, so I figured I'd only be needed the device for a few months.  So lastly using the VPN with the static IP seems to be the only solution that works (it's not perfect, but it works - occasionally it drops the connection).  It works whether they connect to the WIFI or not and I could even us my cell phone as the wifi router (I have an unlimited data plan)...and some people still don't use it, they come up and ask how they sign up even though I announce it several times a night and it's posted at the top of the screen.  I usually tell them they can use the site or use the old fashioned way with a slip and they say "I'll use the slip" while they look up the song they want to sing on their phones (I suppose they have their own list on their phone).  So for all the money I'm paying the VPN company (about $15 a month), I'm not getting a lot of usage out of it, but it's growing, so I'm hopeful.  I'm hoping that Justin gets that server running (I'd rather pay him the money I'm paying the VPN) or let us copy the web app to a host such as 000webhost.com they only cost $3.99 a month to host your own domain with unlimited bandwidth.

How's the trivia work in your case? I've been asked to do Trivia at some bars but I have no expertise.  I've attended a few places where trivia is done, but it looks like it's not something that's easy to run by one person....I even looked at Trivia software and devices where people are given a wireless buzzer for their team or in some cases where you download an app on your android or iPhone device where people sign up via a website and you setup your question (visuals, audio and even multiple question).  The money you make from the bar is not as big as karaoke at least in bars where I've gone and some of these sites charge on a per show basis, so after you pay the site for the show, you've got very little money left from the bar.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke