Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Back on track...  (Read 16117 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Back on track...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:54 PM »
One more thing I had considered adding to the playlist, a "pause timer" or something like that. In other words, you can insert a 30 second (or whatever you wish time-wise) that just pauses for that duration, then automatically continues on to the next song. Radio stations would probably get more use out of that, as they could insert a gap for a live advertisement or announcement, and on the screen you'd get a count-down timer so you know when the "post" is coming up (the time before the next song will automatically resume).

Though in my experience in DJing, if using the phone app, just do the "stop after", and do your announcements and click "Play" as soon as you're done talking... so maybe the "Insert Silent Space" or whatever I would call it might just be unnecessary and confusing... just throwing out ideas, it's past my bedtime, time to put the computers to sleep (including my brain lol)...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 12:07:07 AM »
Lol, I do have a a 17"  lcd screen I use for the singers and it's on a speaker stand with mic holders on the side and I get people coming over , all the time and touch it, expecting it to do something, but the funny thing is that the tablet I had put in next to the the physical books rarely got touched...so I just stopped setting up...it added to the things I had to carry and had a special mounting so someone wouldn't steal it while I wasn't looking.

Anyway, back to your mock ups...I got to say I'm a bit confused.  Are you planning to have both singers and the in-between music (and videos) in the SAME list?  That's what it sounds like to me.  If that's the case it's going to be rather confusing...at least to me.  I'd like to hear from other people as well.  I'm not opposed to changes for the touch interface sake, but they have to make sense too for the non-touch screens.  I would prefer to just have two lists instead of one...one that plays all the karaoke related stuff and the other that plays the non-karaoke.  I know you're trying to make them larger and they may not fit on the screen...but why not make them normal size and then when you touch it or click it (when it's focused) have it "grow" to a larger size and when it looses focus it "shrinks" back to normal size? 

Also, I know you're trying to make everything more touch friendly but it sounds like there would some conflicts...so why not have two different interfaces...which is selectable by a setting?  or better yet, split them into two separate one.  The ones who'd prefer a touch version would buy that version and ones who don't could buy the other.

Either way, I think the single playlist/karaoke queue would be rather confusing. 

I have another thought...why not move the current playlist and make it larger (and able to accept video) into line 2.  Keep the karaoke queu but add the ability to play video.  The Playlist on line two should then face out and pause (or stop the current song) and fade in line 1.  If line two stops instead of pausing then the next song on the playlist should fade in once the karaoke line is done playing, it should fade in the next song on line two then (or play the paused song).

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 08:26:20 AM »
Hell yeah you can!  lol  :)

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
I use both touch and non touch, depending on event and software I am using.. I will eventually go to all touchscreens .. But maybe like with windows 10 you could have a toggle for tablet mode and windows mode.. tablet mode is slimmed down with bigger buttons.
*Having one list with different Icons is not a big deal if they are large enough to distinguish from a glance. Colors are also nice to distinguish from played an not played yet.
Also I use a program that has a feature that tells me when a song was last played..
For instance when highlighting a mp3 and hovering over it ,a popup gives me details of info I need .. title,artist,length, location and last time I played it .. with date and time. I have used this feature for when I do wedding DJ gigs...

*Pause timer.. Inserting a talk-over button might be more better used.. when clicked it would reduce the volume of the current music to whatever you set it.. so you can talk over. You could have it automatically come on after a karaoke song is played and you are calling up next singer or making a live commercial.. Kicks off when you start next karaoke song... Also would be able to toggle on off when needed.

*I like the search options you posted.. I think it is a bit more easier...
Having the quick play buttons is nice.. I have always found them hard to change and assign in a hurry if needed. If I have 6 buttons but use 10 regularly sometimes I need to change on the fly.

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »
"Grain Of Salt" background information:  My business is about 80-90% karaoke based with the remainder being DJ only wedding dances.  The bulk of my bar clients do not appreciate full song DJ filler songs between each karaoke song as we often have a large number of singers (15+) and filler songs reduce the opportunities to sing.  We do not run on a touch screen, therefore I have no opinion on the touch screen enhancements as long as the software functions for us "mousers".  Since my primary source of clients is on the karaoke side of the house, karaoke features are more valuable than DJ enhancements as far as purchasing value.

Knowing the background... here are my thoughts...

Larger list - I like the larger list than the smaller one.  Much easier to read.
Combined list - I am not completely against a combined list, but would prefer two list... one that is strictly for karaoke and one that is for DJ/video/etc.
Talk Over button - I like the idea of a talk over button for making announcements!
Pause timer - wouldn't use it, but not opposed to it if doesn't take up prime real estate :-)
Color - (as already mentioned) Almost any color is better than metallic.  I like the black of the current version, but would not be opposed to another color if wanting to make a definitive new look to Version 8.

Here is my wish list  ;D (for future consideration)

1.  Improvements to the import process.  All of my songs do not load (currently does not load in about 15% of my songs).  The songs load in on Sax N Dottie and play just fine, but VDJ doesn't even import them.
2.  Addition of "On-Screen Rotation" singers list.
3.  Song search that provide columns for Disk-Track, Artist, & Title that are read from the file name and are sortable by those columns.

Thanks!

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
Do we have any updates Justin.. We are anxiously waiting.. LOL I check the forums every morning to see if you have posted a update yet.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Like you, Chaz I've been waiting....I jus got back from vacationing the last two weeks in the Yucatan and Cancun, and I was hoping there would be something waiting for me...dang!  :P  I did pop in from my Cancun hotel into the forum to check in and answer a few questions from DJ Sultan.  Speaking of DJ Sultan...

DJ Sultan:  I did like some of your comments (although the metallic colors didn't bother me).  Like you I'm mostly karaoke based and don't care as much for the DJ features.  Like you I usually have large singer bases.  So there is no time for full filler songs.  I think my singer base would lynch me, if I did  :P  I mostly play the same song as filler for several songs.  I just pause it and it starts where it left off and I change it as needed to fit/match the mood of whatever people are singing.

larger list - I'm assuming you mean larger font...and I would prefer that to be customizable.  Either by manually changing the font...or by a zoom feature...not unlike the way browsers work...where you hold the control button on your keyboard and you spin the mouse wheel forward or back to zoom in and out.
Combined list - yeah, I'd prefer two lists

and yes on the talk over button....as far as the others, I'm not partial one way or the other.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 01:38:44 PM »
By "Larger list" I mean bigger space with larger font, yes.  I am partial to the light text on black background (pictured on the right), but prefer a larger, much more readable list (pictured left).  The small list is just too small to read.  And the small one looks too much like WinAmp...lol

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »
Yeah...then we're in agreement about the larger font. 

Your version is VDJ is licensed to BETA TESTER?

Did Justin send you a Beta test and he didn't send us one?
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 03:31:07 PM »
lol, no...  I took screen shots of his posted pictures so I could show you what I meant.

and here is an idea of what I am looking for!

(again... using photoshop to make the layout  ;D )

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
Something I noticed while comparing all of the screen shots and what I have now...  The buttons along the bottom of the Music Database!  I would like to see all of the tabs have buttons along the bottom instead of on the side.  ACTUALLY, on the Karaoke Queue screen I would like the buttons directly above the list where the Music Database "search" bar sits.  Would make it MUCH EASIER to click a song and play it rather than having to go way over to the bottom right to click "Launch".  Launch should be close by!  When I get some time I plan on doing a mock up of that section and possibly the "options"/tools windows as well.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 04:10:11 PM »
I think you're on the right track...where it's showing both lists (with larger fonts).  I'm assuming one of those lists would be karaoke queue?

I think the preview (on the bottom right) could probably be integrated on the top/center section.  If one of those lists is the karaoke (as I'm assuming, it would give you the room to expand it it all the way to the bottom which would be great for those nights when the queue is just too long.

As fas the LAUNch button...I actually never use it...or rather...rarely.  I usually select the song I want to play and right click it and then the first choice is Launch in player 1. It's easier for me and keeps me from double clicking accidentally the LAUNCH BUTTON.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:23 AM »
Yes, in the ideal setup I would use player 1 as the karaoke list and player 2 as the DJ list.   I would use the fader in the middle section to fade out to "filler" music (and let the filler music run in the background with a couple hundred staple songs) and then fade back to the next singer.

I like the idea of being able to have a longer list on the karaoke side for long rotations!  If set up correctly, it would be a visible (not tabbed) "karaoke queue".  I am not really sure how the view screen could be incorporated in the top middle though as it is already pretty full with content.

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 07:35:12 AM »
Here is another thought... how about having the view screen on the left under the "karaoke" list.  Then have the left side expandable over the view screen and retractable when needing to see the view screen?

Then... when doing DJ only, one side can be for the "main song list" and the other side for "special requests" or a "temporary genre change" list.  The "preview" window would display whichever side the main slider is set for... or BETTER YET... have a toggle on the view screen window to select which video stream is show so it can be used as a "preview" screen while the "singer" screen is showing the current song/video.  So, audio would be controlled by slider for the main and with audio "preview" through secondary sound and video on the singer screen is controlled with the main slider with the KJ/DJ view screen being controlled by toggle/selector switch below the view screen.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:47:35 AM by DJ Sultan »

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
Here is another thought... how about having the view screen on the left under the "karaoke" list.  Then have the left side expandable over the view screen and retractable when needing to see the view screen?

Actually, this is exactly what I do currently, that's why I like the split windows, it's not usual for my karaoke queue to be large.  Take a look at my current set up, you'll notice that the queue is overlapping the preview window on the top right corner.  I also have an extra window on the bottom left corner which is not part of VDJ, I use it to search for Video karaoke and I use a separate player for it.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke