Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Back on track...  (Read 16114 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Back on track...
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
So I had some dental work done, and now that I'm pain-free I've been working really hard on VDJ... the screenshot attached is my current working version, but I'm sure I'll change up some of the icons and buttons before the release.

You'll notice it's designed to be very touch-screen friendly, note the popup menu at the bottom for the "search type"... pretty much everything works in that way, the Options button, AGC button, etc... but it is also very mouse-friendly :)

Obviously some of the graphics aren't done yet, that's what this week and weekend is going to be dedicated to. Lots of Photoshop time... but the internals are working nicely, video playback works on *most* file types and plays full-screen on your karaoke monitor/tv, taking over the normal Karaoke graphic until the video is done or you click "stop"...

Any input from you guys would be appreciated. Remember this is still in the works, but the layout will pretty much be this (the Playlist will be changed somewhat as I mentioned before, bigger font and more easily manipulated to handle Karaoke, Video, and regular music files).

Weird side note, somehow my DVD drive became drive P:\ - not sure how that happened lol... Windows, 'nuff said...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Back on track...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
By the way you'll notice there is no longer a "mute" button.... instead I made it mutually exclusive, if you click the Headphones (preview) button it automatically removes it from the main PA output... any thoughts if that's a good idea? Personally I think it's good because I've been known to accidentally play something out-loud when I intended only to preview it on the headphones... or perhaps make that a program option...?
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
One last note - I think I'll move the LED VU meter on the individual lines over to the right - when using it, sometimes it appears that it's representing the line to the left.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:33 AM »
I know this is a helluva teaser... but here's video playback (not shown, the full-screen Karaoke screen)... :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
By the way, if there are any graphic designers out there, I suck at creating graphics. I would love to update the look & feel of VDJ, if anyone is willing to create icons/buttons/sliders, anything to improve the look of VDJ, I'd love to include it in the program if it's better than what I've created. I can't pay but you'd have a lifetime license for VDJ and NGWave, and a credit in the spash-screen/help file if I use your work :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:11:55 AM »
Just an FYI, I'm raising the price by $20, but that's good news for current licensees - if you are licensed for the 2015 (7.x) version, you get the new 8.0 for $20, the difference between the old price and the new price. So if you're on the fence about purchasing the current version knowing a new one is coming out, it won't cost you anything more to upgrade... just the $20 difference.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
Wow!! That actually looks great...you do have talent in the graphic side...it's not as bad as you think...I like that you kept some of the old elements and upgraded some and added some new ones.

Here's my feedback on the functionality of the pause button.  I use it quite a bit myself more than I use the headphone, so for me I'd prefer to have the pause button, but I notice you have a graphic of the headset...why not use the keep the headset specifically for the headset, so you just click (or tap) the headset when you specifically want sound to come to the headset, use it as toggle maybe, when you tap it, it playback whatever is on that line to the headset and when you click it again, it stops (or pauses).

I love the teaser...you used one of the Thai karaoke songs I sent you!  If you need more testing, I got some Russian Karaoke too  ;)...by the way, I'm trying to stick to using MP4 files for karaoke.  The Russian karaoke came in DVD which I converted to MP4s.  I could have done it in any format, but I decided to stick to that...also some of the files the video I've downloaded from Youtube is also in mp4.  Currently, my the only stuff that is a mix of formats is the Thai Karaoke...with some being mp4, some in AVI and some in DAT.  The DAT format as you remember our previous discussion we settled that they were in VCD format.  As for the price, personally it's not an issue.  I make money weekly with VDJ that even if you did charge full price I'd still upgrade.  But I understand about people being on the fence and they'd be fools not to upgrade for only $20.

When you're ready for some BETA testing (and it looks like it's close to it!) send me a copy and I'll start testing it!

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »
Looking good .. and I am looking forward to testing it out.. Any possibility to get the mp3 player any larger.. So hard to see

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
I like the look, although I am partial to black (version 7 color) over the steal look.  I like "roomier" feeling of the play channels!  Any pictures of the Karaoke Configuration window?  Any changes to the options with the CDG screen or standby screen?  Any change a "singer rotation" or "notepad" type list is incorporated? :-)  Also, I do have some graphics tinkering in my background, but not sure what format you would need thinks in or I would give it a go.  I can Photoshop about anything...lol

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
I'm not married to the "stainless" brushed look, and I *might* make it skinnable with a few bundled skins... but no promises there.

I hadn't planned to change much on the Karaoke Configuration window or the CDG screen just yet. As for singer rotation, that's something I have to put my head into on another day, probably after the release. Right now I'm focusing on getting 8.0 tested and released within the month, then I can do minor improvements and bug fixes and minor features in (free) updates (8.1, 8.2, etc)...

I'm also planning on adding what I call "quick play" buttons, where you drag and drop a short sound effect to the button and it will play instantly. Probably more of a radio thing (I do have a lot of radio station customers) but it'd be handy nonetheless... so once you drop the file onto the button (or right-click and "Open") you give it a short caption ("Toilet", "Dog Bark", whatever) and you can assign them to buttons on an external MIDI controller as well for instant access even if VDJ doesn't have focus.

What I can't wait for is to get a BETA version released for you guys, I totally rewrote the music database and it is 1000 times faster, and it indexes the ID3 tags later (rather than during the index) in the background. It's pretty neat, you get a little progress bar and it uses very little CPU time. Slowly the ID3 search will become more and more available as it indexes (available the microsecond it scanned a particular file, rather than waiting for the whole process to complete).

Singer rotation though, I'm still not sure how to approach that one... but we can get into a discussion about that *after* the release, for a future (minor and free) update. One thing at a time :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 12:18:18 PM »
I like the idea of the quick play buttons.  :)  Glad to be getting video.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 02:46:31 PM »
Ditto on the Quickplay buttons!

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »
Regarding the "Quick Play buttons", it's just that my DJ controller (Numark Mixtrack) has these unused buttons that would be perfect for that, but even without a MIDI controller I will have room for a few buttons on the screen as well.

But back to my playlist idea... now this is just a rough mockup, so look at the screenshot then read the next paragraph...

The playlist will be (obviously) much larger (touchscreen friendly, but also easier on the eyes). A white background indicates a normal, not-yet-played entry. Orange background with the "Pause" looking button is a song that is "on hold", meaning when it gets to it, it won't "skip" that song, it will simply keep bumping it down next in the list (for example if that singer isn't ready yet the show goes on but they maintain their place in line).

Then the red background with the "stop sign" is where it will stop playback (advancing to the next song but not starting it yet) for announcements etc.

The left side icon will show the music icon you see, or karaoke or video icons, depending on the file type.

Now, unplayed songs will have a white background, where as played songs will be a light grey. This way if you jumped down in your list (a genre change by request for example), you can look back up and know which songs never actually got played, and perhaps move them back down in the list.

The selected song (the one you are working with as far as modifying) will have the heavy blue outline, and the PLAYING song (which as always can be two different list items) will show the text in a bold yellow or something.

So even though this is just a mockup, any feedback? Is it too confusing? You see the menu that pops out when you click the icon on the right of the playlist entry (very touch friendly), and yes, for the mockup it's just copies of the same song title, non-functioning - just working out the details before I actually make it do something lol...

Thoughts?
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:45 PM »
Also, and I know some stuff overlaps (hence the term "mock-up") but compare the big easy-to-read list on the left to the current playlist format on the right... also note the slightly redesigned "search type" button at the bottom, I think it's a little more obvious than the previous version...

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, feedback, whatever is always welcome. That's why I set up these forums :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:28 PM »
Just a little side note, I do test on my little 11.6" HP touch screen laptop, but I develop on a much larger laptop... and there are finger prints all over the screen... once you get used to touch screen you think everything is "touchable" lol... so I develop the next touch-friendly feature, then have to fire it up on the little one (network drive so it's always the latest build) to test the actual touch features... one day I need to build or buy a bigger, faster touch-enabled computer to do development on, might speed up my progress lol...

Back in the day it was always a rule that you never "touch" the screen, now days that's all people do. I've had people touch the karaoke screen expecting it to do something... kids... but I maintain I'm not too old for this s#!t and I can keep up with the technology and the 22 year olds lol...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO