Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: DISCONTINUING USING VIRTUAL DJ STUDIO UNTIL THINGS ARE FIXED!  (Read 7941 times)

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
VDJ Community,

After only one month of use (giving it a fair shake) I am discontinuing using Virtual DJ Studio.  Here is why:

It takes 1.5 HOURS to read in 140,000 files. (compared to 3 other karaoke softwares that are under 10 minutes).
It now locks up (spinning windows circle and locking karaoke lyrics screen) when changing the "Unknown singer" to a singers name.
It takes close to 15 minutes just for the program itself to load (leaving me wondering if it is locked up or not).
It doesn't load in all of my files. (can't read "Deflate 32" compressed files, which most karaoke softwares can).

so...  needless to say, I am very disappointed.  Even though I like many of the features, these things make me look unprofessional to my clients and I can't have that.   I am going back to Sax N Dottie until these things can be resolved.

~DJ Sultan

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DISCONTINUING USING VIRTUAL DJ STUDIO UNTIL THINGS ARE FIXED!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
It takes 1.5 HOURS to read in 140,000 files. (compared to 3 other karaoke softwares that are under 10 minutes).

I will agree with this one...I have about 90K files and it does take about an hour.  The issue is that it's trying to read all the ID3 info in all your MP3 files, even the zipped files where for me in karaoke hosting, they're relatively useless.  My understanding is that Justin is making a change in the upcoming version so that it skips that step and allows the scanning to happen within a few minutes ( I think he mentioned 30K files in under a minute) and the mp3 ID would be done in the background as time permits (personally I'd prefer this to be an option, as it wouldn't be necessary in my case).  I've gotten around this mostly by keeping my unchanging files in different folders than my download folders.  I use the "UPDATE CHECKED FOLDERS NOW" button so it only updates that download folder.  This makes it a quick update (just a minute or two)

It now locks up (spinning windows circle and locking karaoke lyrics screen) when changing the "Unknown singer" to a singers name.
It takes close to 15 minutes just for the program itself to load (leaving me wondering if it is locked up or not).

This one might be related to a problem with Windows 10.  I had a similar problem with it loading it would take a long time and even singer names specially with saved singers it would lock up if I tried to add anybody.  I tried uninstalling it and re-installing  and nothing would fix it.  I did notice if I load the previously SAVED singers, it would work fine (I just couldn't add anymore saved singers. I don't really know what was wrong with windows but after trying to uninstall VDJ several times and trying a clean install of it, nothing would fix it.  I started using my backup laptop  because I started having other problems with Windows 10.  I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 and then installed VDJ with the previously saved singers and it began working normally.  Note this won't fix the issue with the files taking over an hour for you.

It doesn't load in all of my files. (can't read "Deflate 32" compressed files, which most karaoke softwares can).
Unfortunately, unless you're willing to redo your compressed files, you will also have to wait until the update.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »
"This one might be related to a problem with Windows 10"

Um... on the downloads page it says that Virtual DJ is "100% Compatible" with Windows 10.  Your response indicates that this is false advertising.  That you believe it is not fully compatible.  THIS is what frustrates me and why I am disappointed.  With a claim of 100% compatibility, we should not have "a problem with Windows 10".

~DJ Sultan

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:09:02 PM »
Actually, that's not what I meant...Windows 10 (at least on my laptop) had a problem of some sort due to the upgrade from Windows 7.  It was causing some sort of problem due to the upgrade itself.  I did have all kinds of problems just with the upgrade, where the permissions on some folders was not working.  I thought I had resolve it and I actually was able to use the laptop for hosting normally, but eventually I started having other problems, including VDJ issues. Initially thought there was some sort of problem with VDJ itself because the other issue seemed relatively minor, but eventually I got annoyed and so I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 and after doing so, Windows 10 is much more stable and I got VDJ to work normally and it has been working ever since.  I believe since back in November....so basically alomost 7 months now.  So it's not comparability issue at all.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Even Microsoft recommends not doing an "in-place" upgrade but rather a clean install of Windows 10. The problem you describe is NOT a problem with VDJ being compatible with Windows 10 (I've been doing all the development under Windows 10 myself), rather problems that the rush to get people to upgrade Windows caused.

As for the rest, Fabio is correct. There are a few very major improvements coming in the next version. Scanning music files takes only minutes, and (optionally) it can quietly, in the background, pull in any ID3 tag information to add to its database for even better searching. It does that in a low priority thread so as not to slow anything down, but again you can disable that all together if you wish.

Windows 10, just like any other version of Windows, also introduced some new problems. Most notably, if you get occasional freeze-ups for a couple of seconds at a time (whether using VDJ or anything else), open Task Manager, click Details, and kill the WWAHost.exe process. I haven't figured out how to keep it from coming back yet but it has something to do with "windows store"...

More details coming shortly on the next version, but I felt I had to address this issue. This is why we offer free trials, but either way most of the issues you mention are known issues and can be worked around, and will soon be fixed.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I switched back from Windows 10.  It caused too many glitches in too many programs.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
My version of Windows 10 is working well...and I like it....but as I said before I had to do a clean install of Windows 10.  Doing an upgrade is not the best.

-F
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:31:18 PM »
I have zero issues with Windows 10.
When my saved singer list is getting heavily loaded with songs I then see a lag happening
Justin is there an option to clear the singers out versus just deleting manual.. I cannot figure out where that database is kept.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
Hi Chaz:

The singer file in my W10 machine is at:

c:\users\fabio\AppData\Local\Next Generation Software\Virtual DJ Studio 2015\

Your should be be able to replace "fabio" with whatever username is on your computer.

You will find the singers.dat file which contains the singer list.  You will also find the vdjdb7.dat file which contains your Music/Karaoke database.  I believe this is the file that the web server uses as for search purposes as well as your "Music Database" tab. I wish I knew enough about the web server to upload this file to my static website online so it would be searchable all the time, even when my laptop is not online.  It's a bit large currently about 15 MB but I'd only have to upload it again when my local database changes. I'm hoping Justin will built something along that line in the future and then our machines can just retrieve the requests from our own site...unless he finally decides to host our sites on his server.  :)

You will also find clist.dat which contains your playlist.  I have a batch file which copies these files as well as the WEB folder on my Google Drive for backup purposes.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »
Awesome.. my next karaoke date I will have to work on that... (too many weddings now)
I think alot of the lag issue when adding singers is within that singer database file. I will eliminate a bunch and see if it helps.. (modify one)

Offline DJ Sultan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
I appreciate the responses! I have recently had a lot of unrelated laptop issues and have not been back to test out your suggestions.  I am very excited about the file search fixes in the recent minor release and will be getting it to try out again in the near future.

I do store all of my singer's data long term with my other karaoke platform and would want to do that with VDJ, so I have a mild concern about being bogged down if that .dat files size affects performance...

I am also looking forward to version 8.  It is nice to hear that a lot of the suggestions on the site are being considered and implemented!

As far as a clean install of Windows 10, I am not sure how to go about that without buying a Windows 10 install disk...   When I installed Windows 10 on my laptop I did a clean install of Windows 7, installed all the drivers for my hardware, did all the updates to Windows 7, then immediately upgraded to Windows 10 before installing any programs.  After doing all that I loaded all my programs (including VDJ) and began using the system.  Everything worked at first but as I stated before... in less than a month it bogged down.  All the other programs seem to still work fine.

Anyway, I am certainly up for giving the most recent V7 a try and see what happens...

Thanks again for responding!

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »

As far as a clean install of Windows 10, I am not sure how to go about that without buying a Windows 10 install disk

You can download windows 10 directly from Microsoft and enter your current Windows 7 serial if prompted.  My understanding is that it will recognize it as a Windows 10 serial since you already upgraded to it before.  The MS activation servers already have it registered as such.

Here's that link to download and do a clean install.  It will let you create media (dvd or usb thumb drive) to re-install

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke