Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Fortress of Solitude  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Fortress of Solitude
« on: August 02, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
So I've come back from my isolation booth where I've been working on the next VDJ. It's still rough, and it's taken quite a while to figure out how exactly I wanted to lay out the interface.

Problems mostly stem from the fact that everyone wants something different (I just finished catching up on old posts here, including many "mock-ups" other users have posted). I appreciate the ideas but ultimately I have to settle on some sort of compromise.

So - after a lot of thought, I give you my (mostly-)working screenshot. Things to note:

There are 4 "normal" player lines, end of story. There then exists a Playlist line that is kind of attached to the central area, where the Karaoke, video, playlist, sound FX, and Notes sections will be.

Now hear me out this is NOT final yet. So don't judge so quickly just yet. Eventually I may move the Karaoke list up top but for now it stays the same as before. I don't want to introduce TOO much change all at once, many users do not like change... or too much at a time.

I will likely maintain the 7.x series as well for those who simply do not want to upgrade, while introducing some of the fixes and improvements for those users as well, but the main focus will shift to the 8.x series. Existing 7.x users can upgrade for merely the difference in price if purchased within the last 12 months prior to the 8.0 release. I hope that made sense...

So some things to note:

- The "Per-Line" EQ now shows a small orange VU behind each band, to give an idea of where the sound may need improvement. The visual helps to see if a particular band is too high or low in volume (the goal would be to have them all peak at roughly the same point).

- On all EQs (per-line and the master), the slope is now 24db/octave. Per-line can adjust +/- 9db in 1db increments (mouse wheel) or 0.3db increments (hold CTRL).

- On all EQs, holding SHIFT and using the mouse wheel will move ALL bands up/down by 0.3db (1 pixel) in tandem, so if you find you are clipping you can bring the whole thing down without disturbing the band relationships...

- In the playlist player, you can select normal playback, "skip" or "stop after" for individual songs in the list. Skip is obvious, it will just jump over it during automatic playback (but you can still manually double-click and play that song).

- You can have more than one "stop after" point selected, so you can sort of have "groups" of songs ready to go.

- The playlist shows songs that will play in white. Those that are before the "current" song, or after a "stop after" song, or flagged to be skipped, will show grey. Songs that for whatever reason can't be opened/read will show darker grey and also skipped. So at a glance you know what's going to play.

- In "Shuffle" mode, it is far more intelligent than it used to be. Internally it sorts the list by the last time the song was played, then uses a weighted random generator to favor songs that have not been played in a long time (or at all). This only applies to the list in use, but if you save in .vdj format it will retain that information in a saved list as well...

In other words no more repeating songs in "shuffle" mode until most of the list has been exhausted.

So much more, and I'm done for the day, so I'll just post some pics and wait for the comments to start rolling in :)  I will be back here tomorrow morning. Lots going on in my personal life so I'm spending very little time online (on purpose) and just cranking out code and graphics.

Oh and the background graphic that sweeps behind the players will most likely be user-selectable. The other graphical elements may eventually be changeable as well, allowing for "themes", but that depends on time and other factors as I really want to get this version released soon. Improvements can always come later (and would not cost for those types of upgrades, as per usual).

-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »
I personally like the 4 lines, I use 6 currently, but most of the time the last two hardly ever used...so no loss there for me.  One suggestion on the sound FX, to allow for CDGs and video to be triggered instead of just sounds.

About my only concern and I've posted about this before is the karaoke queue...I need to be able to make it larger...otherwise there will be lots of scrolling for me.  It's not unusual to have 30 people on my queue and your screen caps show I can only have 14 people shown.  I mean I'll do it if I have to but that would be a major pain.  My suggestion is to separate the top and bottom halves...no need for the three separate windows as in the classic mode....just two windows...maybe? OR designate certain tabs to GROW larger (overlapping the top player area) when the tab is selected.  To me making the bottom and top would be the better option and it might be easier to do programmatically...imho.

Question...what is third sliding bar on each line?  I know one of them has to be volume and the other key switch, but what is the third?

I wouldn't mind seeing a beta version and let me put it through a test and see what works and what doesn't work.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
Re: Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:36:02 PM »
Welcome back from the Fortress of Solitude, Superman!  lol 

Ok, question:

- Will you be able to insert video into the Playlist?

- I'm still trying to decide if I like the lines split up or all four side by side.

Ok, that's all.  Can't wait to see it in action!

Ron