Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: indexing  (Read 6325 times)

Offline mikep1

• View Profile
indexing
« on: September 01, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
Anyone know the maximum amount if any the amount that can be indexed

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: indexing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
As far as I know there is no maximum...thought the Windows file system may prevent database file size from getting over a certain size.  For example if you're using FAT32, the maximum size maybe is 2GB but more than likely you're using NTFS or ExFat which runs into the Petabytes.  As an example I have about 90K files it's indexing and I've cut that down from about 120K (duplicates mostly).  The current file size of the database is only about 15MB.  This means even if you index 1 millions files it would still be under 200 MBs.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
On my home computer I run version 6.9. (gig computers run current version) but not needed for our home use. When re-indexing at home version 6.9 indexes at about 1000 zip files per minute.

I am curious what the current version updates or re-indexing takes for Time.?
I have a new library.. Alot of deletions with new music. I am wondering what time I need to arrive at venue tonight to have enough time to get everything done.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:03:03 PM »
As far as I know there isn't much speed difference in the indexing speed between 6.9 and 7.4x versions....I don't recall what my 6.x version took but I remember it was similar.  I just ran a full index on mine and 93k files (zip and mp3) completed in about 25 minutes which would mean it was indexing at about 3720 files per minute.  The laptop is running on an i7 Intel core (quad core). It may be slower with others I suppose.   This laptop has a regular hard drive (no SSD) for the files but it has an SSD for the Windows 10 OS.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
Thanks Fabio.. My gig computers are slower than yours.. might take me a bit.. I think I am going to wait a bit.. I found some errors.. VDJ wouldn't load some zips.. Actually froze.. I tried playing them manually and they didn't play.. so time to unzip an rezip.. Compression

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 04:17:47 PM »
I wish there was re-zip utility!  Where you right click and the file get's reziped to whatever default you choose.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline jpmiller0530

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:53:13 AM »
I recently purchased VDJ (and love the functionality) and I am having an issue (of my own doing) with my DJ music. My older programs would pull all of the data that is displayed in the windows folder i.e. Artist, Title, Album, etc. and I could decide how I see it so I never cared what the File Name was because of this. Now with VDJ when I search I come up with several songs but have no idea what version it is because all I see is the File Name.

Is there any kind of Batch Processor that I can point to a folder and have it rename all of the files by picking the Artist and Title columns that I already have, or am I about to be a very busy typist/editor?

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
I'm assuming you mean that windows is displaying the mp3 ID3 info and that is how you're seeing the different versions.  You can actually see the ID3 tag if you right-click the file while searching see my screen caps below or if you drop the song in a line you can also see it by right clicking.  You may also be able to display 4 lines of the ID3 in the line itself if you make the appropriate changes to the FILE DISPLAY OPTIONS (I've circled it on one of the screen caps) and I got a screen cap of the actual file display options which you can modify to display whatever you want in those 4 lines...but again, you can display the complete ID3 by right clicking.

If do want to rename your files, I found this utility, I haven't used it, but it appears to do what you want to do.

https://www.id3renamer.com/

I hope this helps.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline jpmiller0530

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 05:38:53 AM »
Thanks for the info Fabio. I was hoping to be able to make those same choices when viewing the Music Database when searching for songs. I will check out that utility and let you know.

James

Offline jpmiller0530

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:49:43 PM »
I checked out the id3renamer but had issues with their zip file. With a little more looking, reviewing and investigation I stumbled upon Mp3tag and it works like a champ. Thanks again for your help Fabio.

James

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
Good info!

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
Ok, yeah I have used ID3TAG in the past, thought I wasn't sure it allowed you rename files...if you're lookin to tag your files, it should be okay as I remember.

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
This is a ways off, but the 8.0 release of VDJ will include ID3 tags in the search results. Note however that 7.0 does index and SEARCH those fields, however unfortunately it only displays the filename in the results.

I've always been in the habit of naming and organizing my files a certain way, but I know most DJ programs show the ID3 fields; this will be the case once 8.0 is released (with the ability to narrow down by year, genre, or any other ID3 field easily)...

Again, that's coming later on...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/