Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Vocal Removal...?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Vocal Removal...?
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:10:10 AM »
This is an idea for a future version or update, not something I'm considering right now. I only bring it up because I received an email a few minutes ago, one I get quite often from customers, asking for such a feature.

This is a difficult task that usually yields poor-sounding results, but with some tweaking on which frequencies to "cancel out" I think it may be worth a try... again, one day down the road.

I guess my question is this: have you guys ever used something like this in another product? If so, how were the results, and which product(s) have you tried?

When I have time to play with the idea I'd like to see/hear for myself what other products do, so I'm just asking if anyone knows of a decent one to start looking at for ideas...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline chaz

• View Profile
Re: Vocal Removal...?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
I personally have not came across a software that can remove vocals without destroying the rest of the music.
So I guess I am interested as well if there is something that I have missed.

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 04:35:51 AM »
I've tried it with mixed results on NGWave.

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
I've tried several with mixed results.  I guess it depends on whether the vocals are in the center channel, the vocal remover has an easier time with it.

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »
The idea is that vocals *normally* would be in the center, and would generally be within a certain frequency range. Cancelling out just those frequencies, while retaining anything that is solely in one channel or the other, sometimes works to a point.

usually the drums and bass (basically anything that is mono) gets eliminated as well, and the results are horrible. Kinda wish I hadn't even brought the idea up lol...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
I've seen some really good songs made by a few people using some sort of software...and they sound really good, but they might be using Pro Tools and or a Studio to process the original songs and remove the vocals. This karaoke newsgroup I follow there is talk that one of the members who regularly posts good quality songs not available in karaoke is a big time star who has studio or her own.  She obviously doesn't post under her own name.  So yes, it can be done, with the right tools, but those tools would be super expensive.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke