Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Screen Resolution  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Screen Resolution
« on: October 15, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
Working with my new 1920x1080 monitors, I got to thinking: what is the average screen resolution for a laptop?

Doing some research lead me to an answer that is actually a better question: what's the average screen resolution *among my target audience* (aka you's guys :) )

Obviously the extra screen room is perfect for development but in actual use, VDJ is primarily intended for laptop use. Full-screening VDJ right now looks rather odd, with a small "player" section and mostly lists of files/playlist entries. See attached (I shrunk it down a bit)... note that when all is said and done, I'll most likely go back to showing "as many player lines as will fit".

As it stands, it's mostly optimized for 1366x768, which is the most common consumer wide-screen laptop resolution, and also happens to be the native panel resolution of most "720p" televisions. I personally have 3 laptops with this resolution (was four but one died...) and two HDTVs (EDIT: 3, forgot about the 26" test TV with a permanent green vertical line... but that's beside the point).

In another world in a future version update, I'll make the move to scalable graphics that will adapt to the screen resolution, size, and user preference in a very dynamic and friendly way. But for now the graphics are pretty much fixed to the pixels on your display... and unfortunately that means a higher resolution on the same size screen makes everything smaller, regardless of DPI settings since I kinda ignore that at the moment (bad practice I know...)

So, I'm curious what resolutions you guys are running (not worried about external Karaoke screens, just the primary screen VDJ runs on).

As for the status of VDJ at the moment... it's getting closer, but I'm finding more and more that the media foundation platform is not all that complete. It takes a lot of work-arounds to get things going, nowhere near as "simple" as the documentation would suggest. But it's getting done a chunk at a time...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:56:05 PM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
Re: Screen Resolution
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:54:46 AM »
Hi Justin,

One of my laptops is 1440x900.  I'll send the other when next time I boot it up.  :)

Ron

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »
That's another common one I've seen. It's a 16:10 aspect ratio, somewhat in between standard 4:3 (or 16:12) and wide-screen 16:9. That was common when wide-screen format was becoming popular but a lot of content would still be 4:3 - so they made screens "in between" so you get black bars either way :)

Honestly VDJ should be fine on most laptops now that I'm thinking about it. If you have a full 1920x1080 laptop, you had better have a 22" screen and that wouldn't really be very portable... so I don't think it's much of a concern. More curious than anything else.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
I'm founding that I've missed a bunch of posts.  Occasionally the board doesn't notify me, or perhaps I never get them.

This may no longer be relevant because this post is from October...but my main laptop's resolution is 1366x768.  I think one of my other laptops might have a wider screen.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke