Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Profile Picture/Selfie Feature  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Profile Picture/Selfie Feature
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
Okay, I've been on this all day. It is *not* perfect, and it doesn't fully work in the default Android browser -- and yes it's much easier on a PC.... but here's what I've done:

https://jman.mydjsongbook.com/selfie

When you take or upload a picture, it does several things:

- Keeps a full-sized copy (at full resolution) temporarily
- Creates and displays a 1/4 resolution version with options for rotate and crop (yes!)
- Shows a small preview as you play with the crop rectangle (yes, I changed my mind and decided to keep a 4:3 aspect rather than square)

Then you click "Send to DJ" and it does the following:

- Creates a 400x300 pixel version of the crop region, regardless of the size of the original
- Notifies the DJ (via VDJ message) that a new profile picture was submitted
- Deletes the original full-size picture as well as the 1/4 size picture
- Creates a TINY 40x30 thumbnail

This little thumbnail shows right under the "menu" button in the app so the user can see whatever picture they last "sent" to the DJ. The "tiny" versions won't be deleted, they are roughly 2.5 kB.

Now, the cropping part is tricky on a cell phone. It's easy to accidentally reset your crop area when attempting to scroll the page -- I'm working on that. But at least Chrome for Android (only one I've tested as far as mobile devices) works pretty nicely.

I'm using a third-party tool for this, which I normally try to stay away from, but reinventing the wheel seems unnecessary. I may need to tweak the code so it works on all browsers, but for now I may just not offer the "crop" portion if it isn't supported - it'll just crop to a 4:3 centered version or something...

Anyway, play around with it and let me know what you think.

TEMPORARILY I have opened up directory browsing, so you can see the "behind the scenes" photos:

https://www.mydjsongbook.com/picture_temp/1/

1 = the DJ's ID (me of course)

So when you take/upload the picture, you'll find the original picture and a 1/4 sized version (-thumb). Then after cropping, those two files go away and you're left with "-final" (a 400x300 version for the DJ) and "-tiny" for the app (thanks to Fabio for that idea).

I may try to modify it to be a round picture, however, I don't want to confuse Android users... I personally turn OFF "floating heads" in messenger but I notice a lot of people actually like that stupid feature. Anyway making my thumbnail round might cause confusion as to whether it's part of the app or a messenger "head"...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:02:58 PM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Profile Picture/Selfie Feature
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:56:33 PM »
Wow...you must have been reading my mind, that is exactly what I was thinking you should do!  To have that thumbnail picture display on their browser persistently and where you placed it, it's one of the two places I was thinking about...the other place is on the opposite side (on the left hand side, right before or after one of the social media icons).  I also was going to suggest that when you tap it, to bring you back to the page where you can take another picture...and you did that too! 

I do like the idea of a round picture very, very, very much, but you're right  :(  it might confuse people with the messenger chat heads...I do hate those too.  It would be nice to see that on the CDG screen as opposed to a square one.

By the way, I tested with both Chrome and Firefox and it works fine on both.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Profile Picture/Selfie Feature
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
It would be nice to see that on the CDG screen as opposed to a square one.

Hm... that could be a fun option! I will definitely make that an option for the 8.x series since I've dramatically rewritten the code for the karaoke display screen.

Also note I moved the little picture just to the left of the menu button, instead of below it. It remains persistent like the Menu button (while the social buttons scroll away with the page). All intentional of course :)

I was trying to use my sister's phone for something one day and it was so damned annoying, and she wouldn't let me "trash" the three chat heads as she was still talking to those people. She just told me to move them out of the way - but they are always in the way.

I just dragged them off-screen and told her what she could do with her chat heads :P
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/