Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: ...Almost there  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
...Almost there
« on: March 12, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
I have VDJ uploading the music database now. You click "Upload" and it first checks the last time you uploaded, and will inform you if you have already uploaded within XX hours. I have not yet decided on what XX will ultimately be, but for the time being I'm going to turn off the upload limit. I'll enable it once enough people are using it.

You will have to reindex. Even though the 8.x has a completely rewritten database, it isn't compatible with the 7.x code, but I had to add a "duration" field (currently 7.x doesn't calculate and store that number, it does it "on the fly" eg as you load the file into a list). I like having that number in the server-side database, so I added that field to VDJ7 code.

Note that just because the two series (7.x/8.x) are very different, they communicate with the server in exactly the same way. Therefore, when I release 8.0 down the road, you will never be "forced" to upgrade from 7.x if you do not want to. The file it creates to upload to the server is a simple flat-file, with specific information, and then zipped up before uploading (to save on bandwidth/time).

So now you can index your music, log into the server, upload your database, and receive requests. Once you have an account that is.

I've still got to finish that part up - when one "subscribes" preferably they'll do so using the button in VDJ, or link in their (new) license email, so that their "full name" and "license key" fields are pre-populated, saving the hassle of typos. Once set up with PayPal, it will automatically start working with no intervention by myself necessarily -- ideally that is.

Grabbing the profile pic isn't there yet but it's next on the list. The server-side of that is fully complete, just not the VDJ side.

I've also got a list of bug fixes I plan to include in the 7.7 update, but for the most part it should be about the same, with the added ability to use the server-hosted app. For now I will not disable the built-in, and I may still allow requests from either one while people transition to the new setup, and for those who simply don't want to pay for the service. In 8.0 I may remove the built-in part entirely, but I haven't decided yet...

So, just a few things left... I was really shooting to have it ready for St. Patrick's day but I'd rather release this on like a Monday (a week from tomorrow is what I'm shooting for) so there's time to play with it and work out any kinks before the weekend...

I also plan to put together a series of videos. Rather than just one "howto" video, I think they should be split into specific areas of the usage of VDJ. One could watch them all in order, or simply watch the newest ones relating to new features, like the hosted app.

Anyway, I'm done for the day... I had forgotten how slow Indexing was on the 7.x series - but trying to back-port the new system to the old code would be too much work, so the faster indexing will just have to wait for 8.0 :(

I'll try to have something this week to play with "live", again without the upload restriction so you can just re-upload whenever you like until everything is rock-solid.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ...Almost there
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
was really shooting to have it ready for St. Patrick's day but I'd rather release this on like a Monday (a week from tomorrow is what I'm shooting for) so there's time to play with it and work out any kinks before the weekend...

Ah...that's too bad...I was hoping I would have a working copy for people to look at it...but I understand...it's best to work out kinks ahead of time before going live without a "net"....
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
I've been working on it all morning. At this time, VDJ downloads "profile pictures" and puts in them in a "WebTemp" folder under the "Profiles" folder, named "screenname.jpg" just like the "active" profile pics.

As soon as I figure out how to let you know that a user has uploaded a new profile picture, it will let you view the current (if any) next to the newly-uploaded version, and choose to keep original (deleting the new one) or use the new one (replacing the original).

If a user uploads multiple pictures with the same name, only the most recent one will be available. I realize this may be an issue if two people use the same name........ but again that's kinda always been the case that we as DJs just have to deal with... like suggest they change their username to something more unique.

The pictures do not remain on the server - once pulled by VDJ they are deleted (except for the tiny thumbnail for the customers' sake).

Database upload works, but it does NOT let you pick & choose which files/folders to include/exclude -- that feature will be part of the 8.0 release. I've been jumping back and forth on the two code-bases for a while now, but lately I'm working only on the 7.7 release to go along with the launch of the web app.

I have also improved how it handles browsers that do not support the "crop" feature. It still lets you upload it but it will always end up as a 4:3 version of whatever they uploaded (right now it does it with black bars but I'm going to reverse that and crop-to-fill instead of crop-to-fit).

I'm also working on validating usernames. I now allow only letters, numbers, and the following characters: & $ ( ) - (space) and . (period)... those are all "allowed" characters in the Windows filesystem so they can coincide with the filename of the profile picture, etc. They will be "compared" case-insensitive, but you will be able to change/correct the case (on your end) once I fix that bug (thanks Fabio). Your end will show the name in the case as you have it set in VDJ (the filenames don't matter because Windows is case-insensitive, unlike every other OS in the world).

So...... still a lot to think about and get done, but it's coming along. I am surprised how well the database upload part works - and the Photo thing is getting there nicely as well.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:59:27 PM »
Database upload works, but it does NOT let you pick & choose which files/folders to include/exclude -- that feature will be part of the 8.0 release. I've been jumping back and forth on the two code-bases for a while now, but lately I'm working only on the 7.7 release to go along with the launch of the web app.

No problem, on my end...specially since you're planning to allow us to upload separately from the actual scanning of files.  I can just exclude the scanning of certain folders when running the database scan initially then let VDJ upload it then I can go back and add those folders and have it VDJ scan them....in fact, this might work even for 8.0 as long as you're keeping the upload process separate from the scanning.  When we began talking about excluding folders, I thought it was going to be a single step...since it a separate step then it can be easily accomplished as is.

If a user uploads multiple pictures with the same name, only the most recent one will be available. I realize this may be an issue if two people use the same name........ but again that's kinda always been the case that we as DJs just have to deal with... like suggest they change their username to something more unique.

This should be fine as well, if it becomes a problem then we can deal with it then...otherwise there is no point on you doing all the programming to idiot proof it.

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke