Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Karaoke Industry  (Read 10139 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Karaoke Industry
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:36:19 PM »
Since there is a lot going on in the Karaoke industry, I figured a separate board for this topic was in order. Please feel free to post about any news, or other happenings in the industry. Just try to avoid slandering any specific companies, as some are very lawsuit-happy...

Reference this post by Fabio to get an idea of why I decided to dedicate a board to this topic:

http://www.vdj.net/discussion/index.php?topic=60.0

Very interesting stuff there, if you get really bored, watch the videos. You will gain some insight as to why there hasn't been a lot of new releases from certain companies, and what the future holds for Karaoke manufacturers.

I'm all for a new format as long as it's open, and I can implement it without copyright restrictions on my part. Currently the CDG format is public domain (but not the intellectual property contained within), and I hope this continues in the future.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Karaoke Industry
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
Just to throw something out there, the CDG format we're working with is a 6 kbps (kilo BITS per second) data stream using extra bits that are unused on a normal audio CD. The audio CD format was standardized in a joint venture between Sony and Philips in 1974, and the CD+G (Compact Disc + Graphics) format was debuted in 1985 (I had to Google the past-tense form of debut, and it's correct despite looking very wrong lol).

So how many of us are still using actual Compact Discs with a CD+G player? I know there's Super CDG, but those are DVD discs encoded with proprietary formats that I cannot legally decode, much like video DVD discs, without special licensing.

I would embrace (and encourage) a new, open format offering higher resolution graphics, custom backgrounds, even video as long as it's optional and allows the end-user (and my software) to override certain portions of it, like we can with the low-quality CD+G graphics we now have. Backward compatibility would be nice but I'm willing to adapt for the future.

Even some sort of DRM (Digital Rights Management) would be fine, as long as my software (and other vendors) can implement it without a lot of restrictions. I'm all for protecting Intellectual Property rights, as long as it doesn't inhibit the ability to sell a great software program with as many features as possible. I certainly don't want to steal from the content producers, or contribute to such activity, but I also don't want to have to pay for the rights to let my users play their paid-for content...

I had considered inventing my own DRM-supported format, utilizing the ID3v2 tag to store the information - full backward compatibility with almost all existing MP3 player apps/devices - but my little one-man company does not have the industry resources to put forward a new industry-standard format... but I'd love to be a part of it if it were at all possible.

In any case, whatever the industry as a whole decides, I'll embrace it, even if it requires a lot of hoops to jump through (really I won't have much choice) but I'd love for it to be something that allows small companies like mine to participate.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Karaoke Industry
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »

I had to Google the past-tense form of debut, and it's correct despite looking very wrong lol

I'm the worst speller and I often leave out words all together but "debut" looks perfectly fine Justin...lol!

we're working with is a 6 kbps (kilo BITS per second) data stream using extra bits that are unused on a normal audio CD

Wow, I knew the datastream was small, but I didn't know it was *that* small.

It's really too bad that these companies are sue happy...I should know...though, I can't discuss it due to some specifics in the settlement.  They really prevent innovation sometimes.  From what I can tell from that video link I posted, is that the issues are more or less confined to the U.S.  Apparently the rest of the karaoke world does not have those issues -at least Europe and Australia...I can't say much for the Asian world.  They apparently got some things in place to take care that KJ/Publishers/Artists are compensated in some way.

Our country is great but sometimes I think there's too much meddling by lawyers.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke