Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Button  (Read 5191 times)

Offline chaz

• View Profile
Button
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
A few things that I thought of for the 7. vers...

A) A button to send a song back to the request list..
For instance Joe puts in 4 songs and I am running 2 songs per rotation.. He asks to switch songs... now he has 3 songs in rotation... cannot send back to request once in Karaoke Queue...

B) Songs come in with first on the bottom... I am used to it now.. but having the option that new songs go below ....

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Button
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »
A few things that I thought of for the 7. vers...

I don't plan to make any new major changes to the 7.x at this time... I'm going to push on with 8.x as I really want to get this fully rewritten version out there. I know I keep flip-flopping but there are so many new features that just need to be finished/polished, as well as the server integration, before it can be released...

A) A button to send a song back to the request list..

That should be simple enough. Actually I was thinking about doing the request list just a bit differently anyway, where songs aren't "removed" from the list, rather they are "marked" as having been used (and you could "unmark" them). Then a "show/hide used requests" toggle would effectively remove them from the list once used.

A simple "put back in request list" would then just "unmark" it so it would show back up (if hidden) and show as not being used...

B) Songs come in with first on the bottom... I am used to it now.. but having the option that new songs go below ....

I'm thinking the new method would have them listed "in order received". Since you'd be able to "mark" a song and hide marked songs... this should (potentially) make more sense all around.

It's one of those things you'll have to see in use to understand. The request list will have a LOT more information, but most of it will only show on hover/click (IP address, browser, date/time of request, the search terms they used, etc).

With the ability to not lose requests as soon as you drag them out means you can get a little history by "unhiding" the marked ones. There would of course be a full-on "delete" option, and duplicate requests (same song/IP/browser/username) would automatically be consolidated (but it would show, in the "more info" popup, that they have submitted it xx number of times so you can tell if someone is being overly-persistent)... re-submitting will not bump them lower in the list (or should it?).

As for the 7.x vs 8.x - it has come to the point that integrating any of the new code from 8.x to work with the 7.x is becoming more and more difficult. The internals are quite different so the code has to be re-re-written to port it backwards, when I should be focusing on just finishing 8.x and leaving 7.x as-is...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
Sounds good... can't wait to see what is in store.

Offline chaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
Another thought ... ppl for some reason can't figure out when clicking search.. they start to immediately type.. instead of clicking the white bar to type in first..
I know it can be programmed in to auto put cursor in...

Also I like the idea of seeing whats playing .. I usually let the background playlist constantly run.. using crossfade in between karaoke singers till they arive..
The app shows what is playing from that list.. an option to show karaoke song or dj music would be nice.. I know you might be changing the way things are set up .. but just a thought.

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:40:07 AM »
ppl for some reason can't figure out when clicking search.. they start to immediately type.. instead of clicking the white bar to type in first..
I know it can be programmed in to auto put cursor in...

Done and done :)

<edit>I realize it should only do this if it is the first search (not a results page, eg "Page 2") otherwise it unnaturally scrolls the page down to the search box. Fixed, and upon clicking the box any text inside is hilighted (selected) as well. I also auto-focus the "Name" box on the Request page now, but no "hilight all" as most people will likely use the same name each time.

The app shows what is playing from that list.. an option to show karaoke song or dj music would be nice..

It *should* also show if a line is playing. I just tested it myself here, and double-checked the code. It first checks if the Playlist Player is playing, then checks each line. The first one with something "playing" (which, perhaps unfortunately, also includes something on "pause") is what is displayed.

I think in the future it will check the player lines first, and not count a "paused" line as "playing". I realize some DJs use the playlist for background and either leave it play or on pause during singing.

So working the other way (individual lines first, then playlist) would be the better way to go.

I could get creative and display whatever song is the "most audible" - as in, if it's mostly faded away from the playlist and toward the Karaoke song... but I think that's getting carried away a bit...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:53:08 AM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 10:57:48 AM »
I just tested (to double-check) on the phone, and I don't see how people are typing without clicking the box first anyway (the keyboard doesn't pop up until you do, even if it's auto-selected)... I guess you're talking about when using a PC? Or (heaven forbid) an old slide-out keyboard-style phone? lol

<edit>
Just FYI, the changes I'm making are to the web-hosted version. You can test it any time while I'm working on it. Mine is at http://j-man.mydjsongbook.com/ and it is evolving each day. It does well in supporting both phone screens and PCs/tablets in any orientation. I added an app-like drop-down menu recently, and more to come.

The main site is secured with SSL at https://mydjsongbook.com/ - the main reason for this is so that your DJ username and password, and VDJ license key, are encrypted and never sent over a non-secure connection (this would be when you are using the new program with the server). I couldn't secure every sub-domain as that gets VERY expensive... but customers are not entering sensitive information (if they use the Tip Jar they are taken to PayPal's secure site).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:18:07 AM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
Just replying to my own self, but I've purchased a "wildcard" SSL certificate. So all app functionality is encrypted and secured :)  This means a few things, but notably people who pay attention feel better when they see a padlock in their browser. Google is also making a push to make every website use encryption. By giving away certifications you ask? Of course not. By ranking non-SSL pages lower in search results, and by making Chrome warn you that a site is "not secure" (which used to just mean, NORMAL)... but alas they can throw their weight around and make us all conform (they are worse than Microsoft these days)...

But I digress - I forked out the money (turns out you can shop around...) and everything is automatically redirected to https:// for anything on mydjsongbook.com.

I'll post some more about the app tomorrow as I'm getting a lot of progress on the internals, and really want to get this available to the public and see what happens...

Oh, this also means my cool little "preview" frame can show a preview of your personalized app within the "designer" page where you customize the app, so you can see in realtime what it will look like.

Anyway it automatically redirects to the HTTPS version so you don't have to tell customers to type HTTPS... just go to j-man.mydjsongbook.com and the browser and server will do the rest :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO