Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Some things we're working on...  (Read 15291 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Some things we're working on...
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:42:42 PM »
We are working on the next update for Virtual DJ Studio. One thing we've added is the ability to show the singer's Name on the top of the Line while the song is playing. This way you don't forget who's singing. You can edit their name within the Line itself as well, and you can drag the song (and singer) back into the Karaoke Singer's list.

We are also playing with the Microphone Line feature - which is still in the experimental stages at this time. We're trying to reduce the lag, and we're considering an AutoTune-like feature, both for real use and for a fun effect at Karaoke parties...

Let us know if you have any other ideas for the next update, we'll discuss them with you and take them into consideration.

Thanks for supporting Virtual DJ Studio!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:47:09 PM by Justin »
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Re: Some things we're working on...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
Something that always bothers me is when you add a Karaoke song to the Singer's list, you have to edit the song title to be more friendly on the CDG screen. Many of my files are named with the Disc number etc.

So I'm working on a simple feature. Pressing 'F7' quickly attempts to automatically "clean up" the song title.

For example:

SC2103-04 Metallica - Enter Sandman.zip

- becomes -

Metallica - Enter Sandman

It looks for strings of ALL CAPS, with at least one digit and one special character (hyphen, underscore, dot) and no more than one space... then lops that off of the beginning, along with any remaining spaces and hyphens/underscores..,.

It's tricky to determine what's garbage and what isn't, but it's getting pretty good with my collection. For example, if won't remove 'AC-DC' from the beginning of a song title, but it will remove 'CB30060-04 - '...

Let me know if anyone else thinks this will help make things go more quickly while cueing up singers at a gig... it's a totally optional feature if you don't like it, but I think it's much faster than manually editing the song title.

Note that if there are any lower-case letters in the prefix, it will NOT do anything... so "Sc2003-07" will be left alone. It's too difficult not to accidentally cut off an artist or group's first name otherwise...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
Version 6.3 has been released, including this feature (auto-cleanup of the filename/title). Hit the download page for the latest version.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Hi Justin,

6.3 is looking really good.

Here are some things I'd like to see in later versions:

- Currently in the top and bottom text on the KJ screen, you can only enter it or clear it completely. 
   I'd like to see a button that turns the text off and on without clearing it or having to type it in again. 

- Would also like to see a button to set the ADJUST KEY to automatically go back to zero after a song. 
  Right now if you forget to set it back after a song, the next singer will have the previous singer's setting.

Thanks!

Ron

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
I think you're right, we should add a simple checkbox to show/hide the header/footer text. We're also thinking of adding other options, like current song name or singer's name...

As for the key adjustment, it does reset when you start another song *unless* you do so by right-clicking in the Singer's list. This was an oversight, and will be fixed in the next update :)
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:55 AM »
Thanks Justin,

Yep, I was launching by right clicking in the singer's list.  That will be great when the fix comes out.  I've been playing with 6.3 more and like what you've done.  Much more stable, really like the feature that allows VDJ to run in priority.

Here's something else I'm wondering about.  Is it possible to have a setting that allows music in the play list to automatically fade out and pause when a karaoke song is started and then resume play and fade in when the karaoke song stops?

Thanks,

Ron

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
Justin since you were speaking about the clean up feature just using caps and certain criteria...why don't you just look for the FIRST string (left to right) that matches " - " that a space before and after the dash character usually those three characters are what separates each of the three parts or "fields" of karaoke song filename...basically:

disk-43 - Artist - Title.zip

So even if there are other dashes in the disk name as in SC1234-34-01 - Artist - Title.zip it will still find it.  For obvious reasons you want to start on the left one first...this would make it work regardless of whether something is caps or not and will work even if there are no track numbers (SB1234 - Artist - Title.zip) because that's a constant.  Obviously if something is not correctly named it will not work (SC1234-01-Artists - Title.zip will just display "Title.zip" but those files will need to fixed anyway.

-Fabio

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
The cleanup feature will never be perfect and work with every conceivable file naming scheme. My personal collection comes from a variety of sources so the naming conventions are very drastically different from one file to the next. Great for testing, but for now I'm just going to leave that alone. You can always edit manually, and I hate to change its operation now that it's already out there.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »
No problem, I see your point.  My collection like yours does come from different sources as well, but I make it a point to standardize the file to rest of collection whenever the files don't match.  This is specially true of files I purchase online (I buy songs from Tricerasoft.com and Karaokeversion.com maily) and those usually come with underscores and put the "disk" name at the end just before the .zip.  I usually end up renaming them because when it comes time to creating a songbook I use Latshaw's song list generator and it requires filenames to be standardized....but again I'm probably just anal retentive  ::)
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke