Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: NGWave Audio Editor  (Read 11209 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
NGWave Audio Editor
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
I wrote NGWave in 2002 because of a power failure. I was working very hard on a project, and a transformer blew on my block. When the power was finally restored, I tried everything I could to restore my project - with no success.

I knew that all sound editors stored their "temp" data on the hard drive, and that the information was there - by for some unknown reason, the editor was unable to restore my editing session (and sure, I didn't save often because saving took time).

So now, 11 years later, I still find my NGWave to be the best audio editor around. It is currently lacking in some features, which is soon to change. At the moment it is still a great sound editor, that is super-fast, crash-proof with full recovery after a crash or power outage or whatever. And it's been update to work well under Windows 7/8. But there is more to come...

In the next few weeks I will be working on some new features for NGWave. First on my list, currently in production, is a really cool FFT frequency analyzer display during playback. Unlike my simple, tiny 10-band analyzer, this will be a full 512 frequency analyzer allowing you much more insight into the specific frequencies in the file you're working with. It will resemble the fake audio editors you see on Law & Order or CSI, but without the stupid sound effects.

Stay tuned for updates, as I plan to release a BETA for my forum participants to check out and give feedback if you wish to do so :)  Look for a BETA in the next couple of weeks...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NGWave Audio Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:48:22 AM »
I don't think I've ever used NGWave...what do you use it for? (aside from the obvious fact that you can edit mp3/WAV files).  Do you use it to trim parts of a song to eliminate quiet parts or parts you don't want to play?

-F
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
Hi Fabio,

I bought it and like it.  You can trim and also cut sections out.  Makes it nice to have little clips from different songs on tap to throw in at appropriate times.

I know it does a ton more than what I'm using it for now, but I'm looking forward to learning more about it and audio editing.

Ron

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:41:37 PM »
Makes it nice to have little clips from different songs on tap to throw in at appropriate times.

So do use it in between singers instead of full song?

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:24:53 PM »
I used to use it for audio production when we ran a pirate FM radio station, back in the day :)  But now I do find it useful to cut off "intro" junk on some songs. In my "bar favorites" folder I have my own edited versions of specific songs. Like George Thorogood "Bad To The Bone", I cut off that first riff with the silence following. It's too much of a quiet spot for my taste at a gig.

I also have used it to create my own mixes...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »
George Thorogood "Bad To The Bone", I cut off that first riff with the silence following

Ah, yes I've done that to that very same song, but for a ringtone.  I had the beginning of that song as my ringer for a long time.  In fact, the ringtone is still on my phone. I use it when I go out riding my Harley...it gets a thumbs up from other bikers when they hear it ringing  8)

I've used an application called Format Factory to do this kind of editing.  NGWave probably has more features for Audio editing.  I'm used to Format Factory because it support converting all popular video,audio,picture formats to others and some minor editing (splitting and joining of audio and video). I sometimes use it at my day job. I'll be a newbie on this one when you post it, but I'll give it a try.

-Fabio
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline vcationguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 03:23:08 PM »
Hi Fabio,

Yep, I have some song bits that people are familiar with and might fit an occasion or situation and throw them up.  Gets a lot of chuckles and is fun.  :)

Ron