Virtual DJ Studio Home | NGWave Home | Official Facebook Page | Unofficial VDJ Users Group

Author Topic: Mouse waking computer from sleep mode...  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
Mouse waking computer from sleep mode...
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »
This has nothing to do with VDJ or DJing, but I thought I'd share what I've gone through. Every time I would put my laptop to sleep, my wireless mouse would wake it back up with the slightest movement or bump. Sometimes I would be in another room, running on battery, and it would wake up from the cats or anything moving my mouse.

I had checked the "Allow This Device to Wake the Computer" setting a hundred times, and verified that it was off for all pointing devices.

Finally I started digging late last night. I had to go into the properties page for the receiver - and voila, problem solved!

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit in case anyone has had a similar issue. You have to tell it that the receiver should also not wake the computer (in my case it shows as the Logitech Unified Receiver).
-- Justin Nelson, CEO
   Next Generation Software, Inc.
   http://www.vdj.net/

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse waking computer from sleep mode...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Interesting...I never had that problem...I use the Logitech Unified receiver with the Anywhere mouse...the one that's supposed to work even on glass (it does).  Of course, I usually put my laptop in hibernate mode rather than sleep....I'll keep that in mind...just in case.
Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:55 AM »
I wish I had the Anywhere mouse. Mine is very finicky about the surface, and I actually bought a mouse pad. I hadn't used a mouse pad for years, as all my optical mice I've had worked on the desk surface without problem. This one disappointed me in that regard, and it goes through batteries about once a month. I usually expect better from Logitech... otherwise it works great and has pretty good range (like I said, it'd wake my PC from another room)...

The best part is that you can have multiple units in the same household and they won't interfere. My step-kid has the same mouse, as well as a gamer wireless keyboard, both using his Unified Receiver (Christmas presents last year :) ) We've never had an issue with interference with mine even in the same room.
-- Justin Nelson, CEO

Offline Fabio

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:28:44 PM »
I wish I had the Anywhere mouse. Mine is very finicky about the surface

This is one of the reason's I go it because I hosting on all kinds of surfaces and I always had trouble...the Anywhere mouse solved that problem...it's bit more expensive but totally worth it.  I even tried Microsoft's darkfield technology mice and they work better than the average optical mice but the Anywhere is by far the best and doing gigs 4 times a week...I don't remember the last I had to change the batteries on it...probably more than 6 months.

Unified Receiver technology is probably one the best.  As you mentioned no interference from other devices, although I wish they'd make a bluetooth version of the Anywhere mouse as the Unified Receiver ends up taking a very precious USB slot.  This new laptop I got has only 3  :-\

Fabio Q.
Shooting Star Karaoke

Offline Justin

• Site Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Virtual DJ Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
...although I wish they'd make a bluetooth version of the Anywhere mouse as the Unified Receiver ends up taking a very precious USB slot.  This new laptop I got has only 3  :-\

Agreed! Mine has 3, and with an external sound card and hard drive, I'm out of USB ports unless I disconnect the mouse. At home I have the docking station that adds 4 more full-power ports (not like using a hub, they are independent ports)...
-- Justin Nelson, CEO